XVIII. A

You all  voted/commented and the general consensus was that you wished for me to finish out this story, so here is the next chapter for you all.

 * * *

The two women that were connected by the unfortunate circumstances of their location talked of many things, for hours, until both of their voices cracked with exhaustion. They spoke with fervor of their lives outside of the four walls they had been encased in, and tears had been spilled on account of the hope that dwindled with every hour that passed. Their heads drooped almost simultaneously as their tiredness won out, and they were asleep in moments. The room dropped to silence, the only disturbance their combined breaths in the cool air. Everything settled, as if the room held its own breath, so as to not wake the demons that consumed all in the small building. The sunlight that had long since dipped low into the sky completed its descent, plunging the outside world into the darkness that now matched the inside of the room that the two women slept in.

The floor creaked under a booted foot, and a dark figure placed an ear to the door that was bolted from the outside as it listened for any movement. Assured that the women were both safely tucked in their dreams, the door was unlocked and slid open quietly, leaving it wide open as the figure stepped silently past the threshold, into the room, and looked to the bed where the women lay. The shadowed body stopped for a moment, without surprise, as its eyes roamed over both of the women, pausing on the one closest to itself. The booted feet took two steps up to the side of the bed, and came into the dim light of the bedside lamp. The man that's face was murky but in view smiled at the picture of the woman in front of him, and he reached one hand out to gently move red-brown hair off of the woman's face. Satisfied when she did not wake, two strong arms lifted her, and her head fell softly against his chest. He carried her out of the room, pausing to close and lock it with one arm as he held her with the other. Together, a picture of soft light and murky darkness, they proceeded through the small house, the two booted feet squelching on the moist floorboards that had recently been drenched. The man stopped near the open front door as the woman stirred in his arms, but she did not wake. She murmured a name in her sleep,and a serene smile graced her face before she settled back into the dream she was having.

The man smiled at her face, but it was forced. He stepped out of the house and looked behind him at the house that had become a sanctuary of sorts, even if only for a short time. The man reached into his back pocket, producing a match box, and adjusted the sleeping woman in his arms closer to his chest so he was able to strike the match. A tiny flame jumped to life in his hand, and he watched it for a moment, before tossing it into the front door, taking one last moment to watch as the small match met with the liquid that soaked the floorboards, and almost instantly the flames engulfed a large portion of the room, spreading quickly. The figure smiled, genuine this time, as he turned to leave with his prize. She murmured a name in her sleep again, louder, and he looked down at her as he moved quickly through the dark forest.

"It's alright, Harper, we're going to see him now, just you wait."

* * *

Talon trekked through the woods quietly behind the two men, her eyes on their tense shoulders as the spoke in hushed tones to each other. Occasionally, their eyes would flit back to her and Megan, but only briefly, before they returned to their conversation. Talon felt a tug on her hand and stopped to look down at Megan, who had tears gathering in the corners of her eyes. Talon squatted, placing her hands on the young girl's shoulders gently.

"What is it honey, are you okay?" she asked.

"I-I'm fine," Megan sniffed, and rubbed her nose with the back of her hand. "I'm just r-really tired, and I miss H-Harmony," she said shakily, and Talon hugged the small girl's frame to her tightly.