Our World's Been Infected

Ariana’s POV        

Soon after I feel asleep but then awoke in a hospital gown. I sat up slowly and propped myself on one elbow.

“Hey beautiful.”  I turned my head to the voice.

“Jai?” I said barely recognizing him through my groggy eyes.

“Mmhmm.” he said tiredly. His tender voice echoed in my pounding head.

“Where’s Mika?” I asked. My migraine hit me hard when I spoke.

“He’s sleeping, but he’s right here.” he said gently. I tried looking in the direction where he pointed. I saw Mika sleeping with his eyebrows brought together. I could tell he was stressed even when he’s sleeping.

“This is all your fault.” I could barely whisper to him.  “Why did you have to do that?”

Silence. He breathed in..

“I’m so sorry, I had no idea it would have been such a huge deal.”

“Jai, I’m in the damn hospital.” He couldn’t speak. There was nothing he could have said anyway.

“I’m sorry, but you need to get the hell out of my life.” I said.

“Ariana, you kno—”

“Just.” I began with my finger to his lips, “Leave.” He slowly got up and opened the door bleeding light from the hall.

“People like you,” I said before he could walk out, “Have distracted me from the one I love. Mika didn’t deserve this. I’m sorry I even talked to you in the first place.”

I heard the door close. Jai disappeared from me for the rest of my life.

“Thank you.”

I woke up. I opened my eyes. Mika was in the same position on the couch.

“Mika?” He shifted his head.

“I wasn’t really sleeping.” he smiled slightly.

“Oh…silly me.” I said.

“Thank you for realizing that I was the one here for you the whole time.” he repeated his gratitude. I didn’t say anything.

“I want you to know,” he began, “that… I’m…” he winced, “Ariana we’re over.”

My mind went blank. My teeth chattered. I could hardly believe or even understand exactly what he just said.

“I’m really sorry.” He said.

“Mika…I know I’ve been--” I gulped, “hurting you but--”

“I don’t think I can take much more of this.” he said softly. “I’ve tried…believe me I have.” he looked down, “I just think it’s for the best.” he shook his head.

He looked at me then looked worried. Walking to my side he said, “Please don’t cry.” he said wiping my tears I was apparently making.

“Why are you..” my teeth chattered and my lips quivered from crying, “doing this to me?” He sighed and looked into my eyes just like the first he saw me. Lovingly.

“I should be asking you the same question.” he said holding my shaking hands steady, “Why are you doing this to me?” he asked.

“Mika, it was all an accident,*sniff sniff, I swear to you.” I said crying my eyes out, “I love you please don’t leave me!” I could barely say through my tears.

“I don’t want to but—” he closed his eyes, “how can I ever trust you again?”

“I promise--”

“Babe, you lost me.” he whispered and shed a few tears. “I’m sorry I let you back into my life.”

“I’m just…so sorry.”

I stopped sobbing.

“Well, maybe not now but…” I said quietly, “Maybe someday?” He sighed heavily.

“I truly hope so.” he confessed, “I’m not sure if I could survive without you.”