Miserable or Magical?

Ariana’s POV

Mika’s mother brought me back a few nice things from New York including a really awesome fashion magazine. I looked through it fascinated, Mika laughed under his breath at my concentration. We ate a nice dinner and I went home soon after. I waved to Mika as I walked into the house around ten. I found Frankie asleep on the couch with his glasses half way down his nose. I took them off and turned out the lights.

On my way up the stairs I thought about Mika forgiving me. I couldn’t believe he forgave so…easily. He must really really love me. I’ve hurt him so many times. I regret every time I did. I washed my makeup off and decided it was too late to wash my hair. I put it in a ponytail and went straight to bed with Mika’s CD playing quietly on my dresser.

---

The next week I helped Tori put up prom poster all over the school. We split up; I was in charge of the junior and senior wing and the gym, Tori had the main halls and the office and the freshman building.

I started taping up the pretty poster in the west side of the senior wing. I realized just how big our school was. I worked my way up the stairs and the first few halls. I was out of breath soon. I set down my stack of heavy posters and went in the bathroom to wash my hands and check my makeup. I heard a stall door open and when I looked I regretted it immediately. Perrie stepped out flipping her hair. She scoffed at me brushing by me to the sinks. She’s been so jealous ever since Mika and I became Popular. Now everybody in the school wants to become singers. Zayn and his band, Nathan made up with his band and Perrie is with a bunch of girls; they’re called Little Mix. She wants to be like me and it annoying. She reapplied too much lip gloss. She walked out, again brushing me. I quickly washed my hands and adjusted my boring old hairstyle and walked out.

I stepped outside and noticed my posters I had set down were gone. Really Perrie? I looked around the corner and leaning against the wall with my posters was Mika. He was flipping through them with his fingers.

“Oh hello.” he said pretending to just notice me. I smiled.

“Gimme.” I said reaching for them. He rose them far beyond my reach.

“Patience, darling.” he said softly. He took one of the posters and gave the rest back to me. I raised an eyebrow at him.  He pushed away his curls from his face.

“Prom.” he said folding the poster in half. “Two weeks away.” he smiled. I nodded.

“One night in that gym with a bunch of sweaty teenagers.” he said folding the poster again. He smile was mischievous. “It seems so miserable…. But…so is life.” he said, again folding the poster I was confused. What was he doing?

“And… something miserable is made less miserable when you have someone to share it with. That’s the reason of marriage right? Life sucks but…” he folded another neat fold, “When you’ve got someone special by your side, life seems more magical.” he leaned me in the wall.

“Back to prom,” he looked down, “a miserable thing, yes?” I smiled slightly. I was so hoping that he do what I thought he would do.

“But having a very special person like you with me, I know it’ll be magical.” he smiled slightly looking me in the eye and handed me the folded poster. I looked down at it; he had folded it into a rose. I looked back into his wonderfully perfect eyes again and bit my lip.

“Will you go to prom with me, Ariana?”