I Know You Care

Ariana’s POV

A smile crept on my face.

“Well, what an original way of asking.” I said. He looked down and chuckled; then his mesmerizing brown eyes met mine.

“Yes, Mika.” he smiled and lifted me up in a hug. He kissed me. For the first time since the blog rumors. He let go.

“Sorry.” he whispered. “This is all happening so fast.” he looked away as if the truth was painful. “Prom, then in two weeks graduation, then what?” he asked. I had never realized that possibility.

“We will stay together, Mika. I promise.” I said hugging him. He exhaled. He stroked my hair and whispered, “Yeah.”

---

“Ariana?” I heard Frankie me from downstairs.

“Yeah?” I shouted back to him.

“What’s this?” he shouted. I skipped downstairs and found him in the kitchen holding the fashion magazine from New York.

“That?” I asked. He nodded.

“Oh, Mika’s mom works in New York and she brought it back for me.” he nodded approvingly.

“Is that..all you needed?”

“You know…” he started, “On the back of this, it says ‘Designers Needed’…” he walked to me.

“I hate my job right , Ari.” he admitted. “I might go for this.” he pointed to the magazine.

“And leave me here all alone?” I asked. His eyebrows came together.

“Ariana, opportunities will come and go. I have this feeling in my heart that maybe this will be the right choice. And with Georgia moving—”

“She’s moving?” I asked shocked, “You never said that!” Pain started creeping into his face, he looked as if he’d start crying.

“She’s moving away next month.” he whispered. He sucked in his sadness. “I think I’m gonna start over, and find a new life, a new job, a new atmosphere.”

“A new life?” I asked he started walking past me. He walked into his room and locked the door before I could get there.

“Frankie!” I said, I pounded my fists in the door when he didn’t answer, “Frankie! Stop hiding from me when you’re depressed! You can’t get a job in New York! You can’t leave me!” I slid down to the floor keeping my back against the door. “You can’t leave me.” I said.

“I’m sorry, Ariana.” I heard yell through the door after five minutes of me crying softly. “This is what’s right.” He opened the door with a suit case in his hands. He face showed hurt and determined.

“I’ll be back.” he said. I clung to him

“How could you DO this to me?” I screamed.

“Ariana.” he said calmly.

“You realize you want this job and it requires you to be half way across the country??” tears streamed endlessly down my cheeks.

“Ariana, I don’t have time for this.” he said, “I’m catching a motel tonight, then I leave in the morning.” My heart stopped and I gritted my teeth.

“You were PLANNING this?” I asked tears falling faster than I could comprehend his betrayal.

“I thought you would have supported me.” he said angrily.

“I do! But you’re LEAVING me all alone.” I cried, “Frankie, I’m eighteen!” I screamed. He turned around and turned the knob on the front door.

“You promised!” I screamed until my throat hurt. “You promised, the day mom and dad died!” I sobbed, he turned around, “You promised me, goddamn it!” he response was silence.

“And you’re just gonna go ahead and break it aren’t you.” I said quietly. His nostrils flared.

“I’m coming back.” he said, “I won’t be gone forever.” he stood straight; “I’m coming back in a week. If I get accepted for the internship, then I’ll stay for two and a half months.” he looked down, “Then if I get the job…” he sighed, “I only come home every three months.” I let my scream escape me.

“Why now?” I asked. “What if y- you, miss my high school graduation?” I cried.

“Ariana, I think it’s time you grow up.” he said sternly. My jaw dropped

“Mom and Dad died when I was fourteen remember?” he asked, “I had to get a job and find us an apartment.” he said, “When I was sixteen, I got a better job because I took initiative.” he grit his teeth, “I did much over the past ten years.” he said angrily. “Now we live in a house. A really nice house.” He added.

“I know, Frankie. I’m starting my career now too. I started my singing career when I was sixteen.” I said, “So it’s like I haven’t grown up.”

“You’re getting paid way more than I did. I had a minimum wage job at a fast food place. I worked there illegally. A minor. I hate being this way to you. Ariana it’s just a job. You’ll be fine.” he almost walked out the door but then he turned back and kissed my forehead and he told me he loved me. He left.

I cried myself to sleep that night.

---

I got to school with my sadness weighing me down. I prayed that Frankie would come home safely in a week and tell me all about his interview and how he got in the internship. I wanted so badly to be happy for him chasing his dream of being a bid designer, but I missed him dearly. Mika was walking down the hall towards me in his beautiful way. I got the chills. His eyes met mine and we smile at the same moment.

“Good morning, beautiful” he said into my hair as he wrapped me in a hug

“Hi.” I said. At least I had Mika to make me happy.

“All I wanna do is make you happy.” he sang.

“What?” I asked. He looked down at me confused.

“You said, ‘well at least I have Mika to make me happy.’ so I just sang Make You Happy.” he was so confused and so was I.

“Did I really say that out loud?” I asked him.

“Yeah.” he chuckled perfectly. His smile was so amazing and his laugh just brought tears to my eyes. He was just a beautiful gift from God. Why did I ever betray him? Being betrayed hurts; Frankie betrayed me.

“Ariana?” he asked

“Mm?”

“Is something bothering you?” he asked.

“What makes you think that?” I asked.

“You’re talking out loud…to yourself.” he said. His eyes showed concern. Oh they were so beautiful

“I can’t tell you.” I said. He smirked.

“Come on.” he said.

“I can’t. It’s really kind of a personal thing.”

 “You know I care, right? No matter what’s going on with your life, I’ll always always be there for you.” I smiled

“I know you care.”

Hi!

I got inspiration for this chapter from I Know You Care by Ellie Goulding. I really hope you liked the drama in this chapter; the end of the book will have you in tears I promise. So much more is gonna happen so keep reading! Comments your thoughts, feelings, or what you had for breakfast; I don’t care. But thanks for reading you guys, You Only Ever Who Were has 3k now! Eeek!

Anyway, I love you,

mika_freak_