Veronica Chapter 1

My foot taps against the floor. I sit in the cold dark office of Mr. Clawed. I've been to his office about, oh I don't know, twenty times. Each horrendous visit ends in a week of detention, or something like that. So it was no surprise when Mr. Clawed came in fuming. I prepare myself for the long, loud speech about how I've messed up too many times and how the punishments will get worse. Blah, blah, blah.  Nothing serious has ever happened to get me expelled.

That's why I wasn't worried until. He spoke two words that would change my life for ever, "Get out!"

It was so unexpected that I couldn't speak. Then the full force of what he said hits me like a bullet in the chest. "What," I utter in disbelief, "But you can't expel me. I have no where else to go."

"You should have thought of that before," he says casually like it's no big deal. Except, wait, IT'S A HUGE DEAL! Ever since 2740 everyone lives in their work place or at a school due to the ruins of the cities. All of the other buildings that were left standing are abandoned and collapsing.

  "I didn't even do anything serious," I say defensively, crossing my arms.

"You blew up the science lab," he says, in disbelief.

"It was barely a dent," I reply slumping back into a chair, trying to think of a way out of this.

"You blew a hole in the wall," he says at a shout.

"Would you believe me if I said it was an accident?" I ask.

"No," he snaps, "Look, I'm sorry, but you've just overstepped your boundaries too many times. You have become a hazard to others and yourself, so I can't risk other students being collateral of your explosion. Here's a bag full of food, water, and clothing. Now go."

With out another word I stand because I know there is no arguing, not when he's like this. I leave, taking the bag with me. It will probably last me a week, maybe two if I use the materials sparingly. I try to keep the panic at bay as I make my way towards the exit, only I need to make a tiny little stop to grab something before I leave, something to help me get by.

I happen to be one of those people that are against the government, but in my defense, the government has issues like serious issues. They are supposed to protect us, only they do nothing when we are harmed. They stand by while people are stuck living alone and in need of saving. I'm also a computer... scientist if you will, or you could say I'm a hacker, but whatever that's not important. So you know why not poke the bear? The big scary bear that probably will try to kill me, but whatever. I'll be fine... Hopefully... Maybe... Probably not. However before I worry about helping this country from the evil government I need to find a place to sleep, the sun is slipping away and fast. It won't be long till it's dark, and I have no interest in walking the streets at night.