Chapter 14

The marketplace at night was breathtaking. After they spent hours on the wooden swing hunger had claimed them both. Taking the main entrance, her heart raced as the large doors opened, granting them access to see the world that she was once so afraid of -still afraid of it but she wanted to learn, to be there for Tavol and the people- her people she realized and she knew she had to try. Part of her was regretting the decision until she saw the market buzzing with people.
            The night lights on the wall glowed, making the walls bounce off a warm amber feel to the square easing her anxiety. Even the stars above made it seem less menacing, less worrisome that something was going to go wrong or that she was going to be cast out. Even then the lights still had shadows, helping her hide her rounded ears, hoping if anything the looks would stop though she knew they could very well smell that she was not one of them.
          Many were out, inspecting the goods that were being sold, overhearing the seller saying their wares of fabrics were from a far off land she had never heard of. Passing by a cart of meats she heard the owner battering with a woman that tried to get the meat by trading some fruit."It's a rare fruit from Galena."
           She watched and listened though the courtyard in wonder as laughter and music filled her ears as she followed the music to see three players tucked in the corner of the courtyard.

          How she was afraid of this place, the people that smiled as they both walked by made her feel silly. They were people just like her, though they were magical beings they had needs and desires, shopping for necessary things as she would. "Fruit my dear?" A woman asked as she stretched her hands towards her with a small basket of strawberries. She turned to the women to decline, taking in her features first. The woman looked older then she would have thought immortality would allow, her face pale and wrinkled. Her gray eyes searched hers though it somehow did not seem too true as her eyes wandered. She tried to hand out the basket toward her only to see it was the left of Falencia.
           "Thank you Minerva." He said as he grabbed the basket from her hands dropping a few coins onto her palm. She touched them without looking, counting them with her fingertips smoothing over the gold symbol with an arrow. "We should be off now. Your berries will keep us calm until we find some food."
            Turning towards Falencia she smiled. "You are the one I have dreamt of. Though I cannot see, I see in dreams who you are."
           "Excuse me?" Her back stiffened.
            She bowed, "Tavol my dear boy, teach her well. Know that you cannot keep her safe forever. She is coming."
            He nodded, feeling her warning deep in his chest as he watched the girl before her, her face torn and confused wondering what the old woman had meant. "Let's keep going. There's much more to see." He held out his hand ready to take hers in his.
                 She stood there but grabbed his arm as they strolled away. "She's blind." It was all she could say, her other words lost to her. What could that woman have possibly meant? She is coming. She heard those same words weeks ago when she was in her human home and yet she was hearing them here. Could it be the same demon she was cashed by? She had many questions but to try and ask Tavol seemed too much and in such a public view she knew she couldn't do that.
               He spoke, taking her out of her daze. "Yes, others like her, half human, half elves have had their sight removed but they are intelligent in other ways. It was a darker time with a King nothing like Dorn. They see things while not actually seeing. As for what she has said, do not worry. She only hopes the best for you this time around."
                   As if she could do it again if she failed. As if she would even want to come back from a second death. Truly a third. She already lost a part of herself, two people, two girls who relied on whoever she was to do the right thing. The girl's death broke her, made her feel terrible about the air she was breathing while the soul of Ellie was now gone. Sometimes she still dreamed of the first Falencias' death and then the human girl. What her father must be going through without her; what Tavol had been through those years without his friend or lover as she was now finding out made her heart wretch for forgiveness.
             Those eyes were before her, ones that instantly calmed her and saw through her soul; his hand holding her chin to see him through her fog. "Listen to me, you are not going to get hurt. You will not die this time. Not ever again."
             She wanted to believe him, she wanted to know that it was true. That she would never die again but she couldn't. Not when she knew her death was emanate, may it be by the dark thing chasing her or humanity. "You know that's not possible. You know what I am." Human she wanted to say. Bound for death.
           But his eyes held hers, his hand pulled her closer to his face and she could feel his warm breath on her skin making her body quake. The proximity of his wet lips made her want nothing more than to fall into him and melt into the kiss until it burned. She wanted to have his hands marking her, feeling the shape of her body as she tasted him. Their breathing hitched, her eyes fluttering realizing where they were. "You belong here."
              Swallowing hard she nodded, biting back tears. His arms around her made her feel safe as she looked around, to the people watching, either in question or passing by glances. Part of her wondered if it was a good idea to go to the market after all. "Can we just keep walking around? Others are staring."
            He nodded, handing her a strawberry as they started to walk down the pathway glancing at the other carts and merchants. Some sell meat and others seem to sell leathers and armor. Some gold or silver armor like Tavols the day they met the queen.
            She stopped as she admired the strong breastplates, the ornate detail and colors of the gold leaves on a piece at the end. She looked to the owner, seeing the back of a young woman and a gentleman further back in the booth hammering at something. A small short haired boy ran to the mother's side complaining to his mother about what she wanted him to be. "I don't want to be an armorsmith mother! I want to be a warrior! Father can teach another."
           "Hush your tongue Valas or it'll be your last. The captain is among us and a lady."
            Tavol bowed as she did the same. "No worries my lady. We are just walking about, I'm showing her the market place. May I speak with the boy?"
Her silver eyes looked to him in question, her dark hair curled around her face but still her ears showed through. The woman looked to be only late twenties but her son was a mere fourteen. She bowed her head. "Whatever pleases you, good sir." She looked at her son, his dark brown hair a mess giving him a look that only mothers seemed to give. Mind your tongue, it seemed to say.
               Tavol walked beside the tent leaving Falencia in front of the women who curiously stared at her. "And your name was young lady?"
              She froze her hand gripping the handle of the strawberry basket. Why did he leave her here? She cursed. "My name's Falencia."
             "That is a strong name. What of your last?"
            "Stormsung." She muttered. Curse this name. Curse this memory that she has lost. She still did not know much of who she was but it seemed her name was either a bad omen or a passing fancy that no one took much care to worry about.
             "So the rumors are true. You are back. It has been years."
            Before she asked what she meant, Tavol returned with the young boy. He had a smile wide as his face, his green eyes shining. "Oh mother can I? Can I?" He was jumping for joy.
            "If you don't mind I offered him a spot as a warrior if he showed good manners to you and trained hard in the next two years." His generosity surprised Falencia. "That is if you allow, my lady. I do not want to offend your family."
            She smiled at him as she looked at her son. "Sir Tavol it would be an honor to have him trained by you but I would wish to wait until he has tried both crafts. He might like his father's profession. After all, I don't want to burden you with someone to train so young with you having others in the classes you keep."
              He bowed. "No offense taken. I will not be bothered by Valas. He seems to be a strong and capable fighter. Let that be so, he can do both in time." Falencia was in awe. The woman was happy but also thinking realistically for her family.