Chapter 6

"How is this possible?"
Tavol looked to her eyes full of wonder.

"There is no way a town around here looks like this." She was taken aback by the size of the walls and the large trees that held its sides. Something wasn't adding up. When she awoke and would look out the windows for hours in the hospital she knew by now there were no buildings that compared to this castle in front of her. "How have I seen this before?"

"What do you mean?" His voice was hopeful, she knew that sound more from her father. It nearly hurt her heart.

"I dreamt of these walls. I don't know how."
"It's hard to explain. It has always been around." He noticed her shivering body as the wind cut through the field. "Come on, you're cold. Let's get you some clothes first."
He took her hand, loving the feel of her small fingers intertwined with his, and when the heat of their hands sent shockwaves through both of them he pulled her forward, closer to him. He never wanted to let go. If it were true..."Can we take the back way? I don't want to see anyone since I don't know them." She froze. "Why did I just say that?"
He tried to laugh it off. "I don't know. There is a back way though. Maybe you figured there would be. Follow me." Careful, he had to be so careful. Before she could ask any more questions he brought them down the path way to the right side of the stone wall where weeds covered the entrance to a tunnel he would use all too often to stay out of trouble and peoples way. Ways they would... no he can't remember those times-not yet.
The wide tunnels were cold and dark but it only took a moment for it to be lit, the torches catching and illuminating the walkway ahead as one lit the other ahead of it, leaving Ellie jaw dropped. She breathed a sense of awe under her breath, looking at Tavol doing nothing but walking beside her, every once in a while she could hear him whisper or see his lips slightly move but it was nothing she could understand. She looked to her savior seeing the slicked back black hair shine, making her want to brush through it and feel the shaved sides underneath her fingertips. For a stranger he was quite calm being half naked around her and even his back muscles as he walked moved with such grace he must have honed them for hours a day. Part of her felt so comfortable around him and it scared her, and even more when she imagined herself pushing him up against the wall and holding him as if she hadn't seen him in years, to kiss those thin lips that were pursed back into a smile she nearly froze in disgust. How could she think such things?
"So you live here?" She had to say something before she acted on whatever these feelings were.
He nodded. "A little further up I do." Up a flight of stairs and into the rear tower. She thought knowingly. Trying to brush it off as if thinking she saw the shape of the castle and was just mapping it in her head was easier than believing she knew where his room was by memory, a memory she doesn't have and surely wouldn't have in this place.
"Do you know me? You said something earlier about knowing me from years ago. Did I come here then?"
He stopped. "I don't think so. Let's just get you clothes."
"That is the most roundabout answer I have ever heard! You seemed so sure that you knew me." She wanted answers so she grabbed his forearm tightly making it known she wanted to see him. To See those eyes that held some truth. She was sick of always being left in the dark. Sick of wondering who she was before and who she's supposed to be and somehow this man knew the answers she seeked.
He turned to her now, feeling her hand gripping his. It seemed to almost pain him to answer. "It's too hard to explain. I knew of this person long ago, years before you were born." He snapped. "Let's just keep going." He stormed ahead, his fists at his side trying to calm down. He shouldn't have acted like that. He shouldn't have let his guard down. She noticed and his words confused her even more. As he kept going he didn't hear her move behind him and he turned to see she was still, arms crossed and eyes narrowed.
"I'm not leaving here until you tell me. I don't even know why I followed you. For god's sakes this could all be fake and you're leading me to a dungeon to kill me." Stupid. She felt so stupid.
Suddenly he was upon her, close enough that she could lean up and touch her lips to his. "Trust if I wanted you dead, I would have slit your throat before you even entered this hall." His words were unsettling and the fact that he was right up in front of her in two seconds with that speed didn't ease her either. His long strides seemed like nothing and his height overpowered her, his face so close to her own she could smell his strong scent of oaks and plants. Still, she kept her eyes narrow, ready for a fight if need be.