Chapter Eleven

Sherlock's P.O.V.

I woke up for the second time that day, only this time it was real. The sun was just setting, the sky alight with orange and red, the air around me chillier than before. I could feel the rough bark of the tree against my back, the roots digging into my legs. I remembered my odd dream. I never dreamt. When I slept I was in my mind palace, still conscious of time and reality. This time, however, reality had faded and blurred, it had been out of focus, opaque. Still, I had felt something in those few hours. Or, few seconds before I awoke- the period where humans dreamt. I felt Fear. Fear of losing my only companion. Acquaintance. Friend? Maybe.The last rays of sun set below the horizon, and my world was bathed in a silver-blue twilight. I checked the time on my phone. 5:30pm. I sighed, wondering if John was concerned about me. Rising from my slouched position, I began to walk back the way I came, not bothering to text him, I knew I'd see him soon.

John's P.O.V.

I waited hours for Sherlock's return, pacing around anxiously, checking my phone every so often. One hour, two hours, three. Eventually I left the room, knowing I'd drive myself insane waiting. I strolled around the school, the clap of my cane against the wooden floors making my presence unmistakable. I heard a door open behind me, and Molly's familiar voice talking to me.

"Hi, John!" I turned around.

"Hey there, Molly!" I cast away my nervous face so to not worry her.

"Where are you off to then?" She stepped out of her dormitory and closed the door behind her.

"Just for a walk, I need a bit of air. Fancy joining me?" I smiled warmly.

"Okay! Let me get my jacket!" She hurried back inside, where I heard a little screech and excited chatter, obviously between her and her roommate, Mary. Promptly, Molly bounced out of the room again, over to me, where we walked with constant conversation towards the exit. The chilly breeze hit with a vengeance as the door opened. Mrs Hudson obviously felt it too, as she warned us not to stay out too long for fear of catching a cold. We promised we'd be back before long and shuffled outside. Once we were in the centre of the field, I tilted my head towards the heavens and smiled at the sun, which was just falling into sunset. Molly grabbed my arm which was not holding the cane and half dragged me over to a small picnic table beneath a canopy of trees. We sat down opposite each other, her face now serious.

"John, I can tell that something's bothering you. What's wrong?" She bit her lip nervously. How did she know? Had I been looking more worried than I thought?

"It's Sherlock." Her eyes widened. "He was really stressed, and then he stormed out hours ago, and I haven't seen or heard from him since." Molly relaxed as this information set in.

"Ah, don't worry about him, he's always off somewhere, gone for hours, skipping class. It's one of his trademarks." She smiled, pearly white teeth glinting in the sunlight filtering through the leaves. She really was very pretty.

"Uh...Molly?" I breathed deeply, contemplating my decision, however, I didn't feel the same rush of adrenaline that I felt when I asked out a girl that I liked.

"Yes, John?" She gazed at me curiously, her head tilted sideways slightly.

"I was wondering...um...would you like to-" I was cut off by her ringtone.

Ohohohoh oh ohohoh oh I'm Radioactive, radioactive.

"I'd better take this!" Molly smiled apologetically. I cleared my throat.

"No, no, it's fine. I was just about to ask if you wanted to go back in anyway." She nodded. We walked amiably for a while, before she hung up and said,

"I need to go to the Library to pick something up, thank you for the walk, John!" She turned and hurried back the way we had come from.

I sat down outside the block of dormitories, and watched the sun fade into the earth, it's warm glow of light gone until tomorrow. I shivered and rotated my shoulders, feeling the stiff bones click with disuse. I closed my eyes, relaxing into a comfortable position. Falling asleep, I was shaken back to consciousness by a hand on my shoulder.

"John? Are you okay?" A familiar voice spoke. I opened my eyes and jerked my head back as I saw Sherlock's face a couple of centimetres from mine. The consequence of this was a very hurt head, as the material I was leaning against was thick, hard metal.

"You prick!" I scowled at him as I stood up, rubbing my head.

"You didn't hit your head that hard, John." He stood up also, towering over me.

He rolled his eyes.

I punched him in the face.

"Not for that! You had me worried sick, all that 'What has Moriarty done he's done something bad, oh I know, I'm just going to go for a walk for hours and leave my roommate, also my only friend to figure out whether or not I've been kidnapped or killed' thing." My face was flushed and my eyes were seeing red. To my surprise, Sherlock just laughed.

"You didn't really think someone could kidnap me, did you?" He laughed again. "Can you really imagine me sitting in the back of a van while some lunatic drove me somewhere I didn't want to go?" He chuckled.

"Nobody thinks that until it happens." I huffed.

"I forgot to put emphasis on could and me. I'd be out of there before you could say 'help'." I sighed, my face cooling slightly, knowing that he was right, but feeling hurt and angry all the same.

"Okay, I'm sorry. How's your face?" Guilt washed over me as I noticed the bruise just above his cheekbone, quickly followed by fear. It was the spitting image of a bruise my father would leave.

"It's fine." I noticed the absence of his thanks, or an apology for worrying me, but didn't dwell on it too much, because after all, he was Sherlock Holmes.

(A/N)

Hehe. So I decided I didn't want to get into the action...yet. I'm going to focus on growing their relationship, expect lots of awkward eye contact and deep mental conversations! c;

x