e i g h t e e n

John's P.O.V.

I could sense something in Sherlock change. Whether that was because of my feelings towards him- as a best friend, or because I felt I knew him quite well- it was a mystery, and I'm pretty sure Sherlock would be able to solve it. I bit my lip as I thought about his thinking face and shook my head, ridding myself of the images. (A/N: haha sorry)

We arrived at the park not long after, and my instinct was to hold Sherlock's hand as we strolled along the path, with an uncomfortable silence hovering over us both. I could tell because Sherlock wasn't rambling on about the moistness of the air or whatever other nonsense he could think up. In reality, I didn't think it was nonsense at all, we both knew that he was brilliant, only I saw everything about him as utterly amazing, while he was only aware that his deduction was. I had grown to love his absurd ramblings, his odd obsession with being unintentionally rude, even his random violin sessions at 3am. I loved the way his mind worked, and the way he looked when it was. Of course, this was all friendly admiration.

Johnny boy...Stop lying to yourself.
No. I'm not gay!

As if on cue, a voice spoke. "Hello boys." Sherlock's head whipped around to stare at the speaker- as did mine, just slightly slower. There stood Jim Moriarty, flanked by Sebastian Moran and Philip Anderson, who had Sally Donovan clinging onto his arm. Sherlock's face didn't portray any emotion he may have been feeling, as per usual he was as cool as the air surrounding us.
"Ah, Jim. So nice to see you." His voice was dripping with sarcasm. Jim stepped forwards, Moran following closely behind. "I see you brought your subordinate."
"I see you brought yours." Moriarty's reply was instantaneous, and he said it while casually restraining Moran, who had gone frighteningly tomato-esque. I was expecting Sherlock to defend me, but he only smirked. My face must have given something away, as Moriarty looked at me pityingly.
"Can I help you with anything?" Sherlock asked, exaggeratedly tired.
"No, but Mr Watson here can." Moriarty licked his lips. Something flickered in Sherlock's eyes, but he repressed it quickly.
"John and I were just leaving, actually."
"But we did say we'd hang out soon." Moriarty's seductive expression had changed to that of sarcastic pleading, daring us to contradict him.
"Thanks, but no thanks. Let's go, Sherlock." I grabbed his arm.
"No, no. Wait. Maybe we should stay." Sherlock's eyes were fixed on Moriarty. "At least, I will. You're free to leave if you so wish." I shook my head and regained my original position.
"Did you have anything in mind?" Moriarty licked his lips again, running his eyes over Sherlock's form.
"Perhaps." I was stunned. Sherlock's previous expression of sarcasm and exasperation had turned to that of...flirtation? Was that the reason for his discomfort around me? I was angry about this- about the idea of him being uncomfortable for something so petty and insignificant, I mean.

Yeah Right.

"Why don't we go back to my room, Sherly-boy." Moran looked almost as stunned as me at this point.
"Jim..." He stuttered in confusion. Moriarty just raised his hand, palm out, to silence him, before walking off with Sherlock, leaving me alone in my incomprehension and yes, slight despair.