Apart of Me

Lucy Pic

My heart raced in my chest as I escaped the classroom. I couldnt be next to Natsu longer than I had to. I clutched my books in hands walked to my next class preying I wouldnt have any more classes with Natsu. Just as I neared the door, a huge bang caused my to turn around. Natsu was panting, his fist on the locker, but his gaze was focused on me. My heart pounced in nervousness.
"Lucy!" He said. I looked around as he tried to approach me. I didn't know what to do other than look down at the floor.
"Lucy, hey." He repeated himself, but I didn't look up. I couldnt find words to say to him.
"I'm sorry for leaving you behind last year," Natsu apologised. I looked up at him in surprise. Thousands of thoughts ran through my head in a single moment.
"Its fine," I answered. "I'm use to being forgotten." I said before ducking into my classroom. The bell rang and class started.
Unfortunatly it turned out that I had lunch with both Lisanna and Natsu, two more classes with Lisanna and my last class of the day with Natsu, but Juvia was also in my last class so I was relieved. Even if most of her attention was focused on Gray, one of Natsu's friends.
I didnt talk to Natsu, but only nodded or shook my head in response to things he said. I spent most of my time writing around him, not wanting to talk. I didnt want to get close to him again if hes just gonna get up and leave again. Just because its happened before doesn't mean it hurts me any less. Glancing over at him I finally took in his older appearance. He was bent over his own piece of paper, his hair longer and spikey, still salmon pink, his face seemed more mature, more solemn but his eyes still held its childhood gleam. Just then he looked up, and I guickly turned my gaze back to my paper. I saw him smile as he looked back down at his paper too, and I almost wished I could go back to that the summer again.
I'd ran away to a park close to my house, it was getting dark but I had no intention of leaving. I had felt so alone. In my house and in school, I knew I didnt have real friends. They were only there because I was popular. At the park alone, I felt normal. Almost. Here I could imagine playing with real friends I created in my head. I sat on the swing letting my feet hang, not moving as I let my imagination carry me to a place where I had real friends. Suddenly the swing beside me was moving, and Natsu was there. He smiled at me, getting off his swing, and pushed me on mine. That moment was the first time I truly felt like Natsu was my friend. A real friend.
I dropped the memory as the bell rang and gathered my things, turning in my paper on the way out of the class. I didnt know how I got through today but I did.
~time skip~
A month passed without incident, even though I still hadn't talked to him at all. Id become better friends with Juvia and Gray, and somewhat more confident in not talking to Natsu.
I let my mind wander as I began to unpack my materials for first period. I doddled on a blank piece of paper letting myself ignore reality for a while until the bell marking the beginning of class rang.
Fifteen minutes into class, the door opened to reveal a flustered Natsu. He sauntered in and took his seat next to mine, which for some reason I hadn't noticed was vacant until now. I looked over at him and he winked at me before taking out his own materials.