I. A

This is the first part in a series of chapters that are going through stages of editing. A chapter marked with "F" next to the title number indicates that the chapter has finished being edited and is the final version of the chapter. A chapter marked with "A" next to the title number indicates that the chapter has been edited, but isn't done or is 'almost finished', and it is not the final version. A chapter marked with "N" next to the title number indicates that the chapter has not started being edited yet and isn't finished. If you choose to read the story before all chapters are marked "F" for being the final product, then it is at your discretion if the chapters are not one-hundred percent cohesive. Please feel free to leave a comment if you see something that doesn't add up, or if chapters are labeled as finished but don't seem to be. Thank you in advance.

* * *

It was the sound of the breeze rustling her curtain that woke her.

A groan filled the empty space in the room, and she cracked open her eyes, wary of what she would see. A sigh escaped her lips when the room was empty, but it wasn't one of relief. She didn't expect anyone to be there - this was always how she woke up. Alone, exhausted despite the sleep, and with a pull in her neck that told her she didn't sleep in her own bed.

Harper sat up slowly, pulling her legs out from under the thin covers, and rubbed her shoulders with her hands, her breath catching when her fingertips caught on the muscles that were sore from her evening activities. She let her head fall back and stared up at the ceiling, wondering why she even did this, before laughing. "It isn't like I have a choice," the words barely escaping her lips, almost as if she wasn't aware of the thought she had released into the air. She shook her head slowly with her eyes closed and stood, her steps light with hesitance, her body recognizing before her mind did the soreness she'd feel. She moved slowly but methodically as she stripped the bed of the sheets and pillowcases and gathered them up in her arms, trying not to breathe in with her nose and inhale the scent of the male that they reeked of. Jason, she thought with a half frown on her face. He was one of her older brother's friends. That complicated things a bit. Usually the males that bedded her were older; they were males that had searched long and hard for a mate and failed in finding one. She didn't think Jason would be the type to go for her, considering he was still young, in his mid twenties, and had ample opportunity to find a suitable mate.

"Harper, you're so hot right now," his words almost crashed into her brain and she flinched, shaking her head as if to rid the memory from her thoughts, but it clung to her like a burr on her clothes, teasing her with what happened the previous night. She turned and walked out of the guest room as her head rewound her memories and hit play without permission.

* * *

"Jason," she panted, her hands snaking up his back and grabbing onto his shoulders, leaving red marks where her nails scraped the skin. The bed shifted beneath them as he moved above her, pushing her into the mattress with his weight. Sweat dripped off his forehead and pooled on her breasts, which were raw from him nipping at them earlier to get her into the mood. Harper moaned hesitantly as he grabbed her breasts now, kneading them with his calloused hands. The sounds of their harsh breathing pounded in Harper's ears, filling her brain until it was all she could hear, and she felt the blood rushing under her skin. Jason gave her a wolfish grin as he watched her face contort.

"Harper, you're so hot right now," he said, his hands on either side of her face as he steadily pushed into her. "You know, my pups will be filling this tight little stomach of yours, babe," he murmured, and Harper's eyes squeezed shut. This was the sentence she didn't want to hear. It was the part of herself that she hated most; the penultimate reason for him showing up at her front door. To breed. To mate with wolves that were not the one she was destined to be with. She had already bred several pups over the past two years, producing two boys and a girl. Her eyelids stung from her effort in keeping them closed, and she felt them watering in response, so she relaxed her face, opening her eyes and releasing a breath. She reached her hands behind his neck, pulling his face down to hers, moving her lips across his in an effort to push the thoughts from her head. Her hands tangled in his hair and he moaned, shoving his tongue between her lips. His movements shifted and got rougher. Harper winced. She knew she would have bruises in the morning, she always did. Werewolf sex was rough, primal, earthy. Their bodies were built to accommodate the passion they were able to feel, and because of it, they had mind-blowing sex, but it could also be mindblowingly painful if forced. Jason brought his mouth down to hers again in a possessive, open-mouthed kiss. Harper scratched his neck as she felt her release. It was always a high, that was for sure, but it was pure adrenaline. No love, no happiness. Just a fast beating heart and the dread at knowing that when he released, she would certainly become pregnant, a fact that had been tucked in the back of her head ever since he had started to undress her.