Chapter 19

Koro-sensei patted [Name]'s head in a soothing manner while he quietly murmured words of comfort. He had thought there was something troubling her when she had first arrived, but he didn't want to say anything. Regarding what recently happened, he was certain there was something serious going on with the girl. He wasn't sure what it was, but as her teacher, he was going to do his best to be there for her should anything else happen.

"There, there, [Name]-chan, don't cry. I know you've probably been through some tough times, but don't worry because I can assure you that E-Class and I will always be there for you. In fact, I just remembered something." Koro-sensei left the room and came back a moment later with a large basket filled with goodies. He placed the gift basket next to the bed and hands [Name] a card attached to it. [Name] opened the card and inside were many small sentences and phrases, each signed by a different one of her E-Class classmates. The phrases are very similar, all of them along the lines of get well soon, but they were also each different and unique. However, one stood out to her. All it said was get well soon and was signed by a Nagisa Shiota. The name was unfamiliar to [Name].

She looked to Koro-sensei and asked, "Koro-sensei, who is Nagisa Shiota?"

"Oh that's right, you don't know Nagisa-kun do you?" Koro-sensei realized. [Name] shook her head. "Nagisa-kun is one of my most skilled students - then again all of my students are very skilled. I'll have to introduce you two when you come back."

Those last words brought a thought to [Name]'s mind that she hadn't thought of until that moment. "Koro-sensei, how long have I been in the hospital?"

Koro-sensei paused as if he was considering something. Then he spoke up, "Approximately 4 days."

[Name] stared in shocked disbelief. "4 days? You're kidding."

Koro-sensei assured her that he was not, then subtly reminded her about the schoolwork she would have to catch up on. It was at that moment that Asano chose to wake up. Noticing this, Koro-sensei swiftly and politely excused himself. [Name] didn't even notice he said anything until she heard the door close; then she looked up and was met with an empty room.

'Did he leave?' she thought, and immediately corrected herself. 'Of course he left, stupid. If he hadn't the room wouldn't be empty.'

"[Name]?" [Name] heard a tired voice say. She looked over to see Asano peering at her with a tired look of astonishment. He reached out a hand and brushed it across her cheek. "You're up," he breathed out, and his eyes became glassy. "You're really awake." He pulled her into a hug while tears slipped down his face. "I- I was afraid." His voice shook and cracked a little bit every time he spoke. "So afraid that- that you wouldn't wake up. The doctors said it would- only be- a half hour, but you never woke up. I thought you- you were stuck in a coma or worse-" Asano continued to ramble and cry, and [Name] felt bad seeing him cry. He looked so vulnerable and human. Not anything like the handsome and somewhat terrifying man who kidnapped and threatened her. [Name] couldn't help herself, he looked so genuinely upset and worried, that she couldn't stop her body when her arms wrapped around his shaking form, squeezing tightly to reassure him.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly.

Asano pulled her closer and placed a delicate kiss to her cheek. For the first time, [Name] found that she didn't mind.

In a dimly lit room of an unknown building, a woman stirred a pot of a boiling substance on her stove. She leaned forward a bit, taking a whiff of it, and muttered, "Good enough." She turns off the stove and puts some in a small bowl, and places it on a tray with a spoon and a glass of water. She takes the tray into a different room, where a man lay motionless on a bed. "Hello, son. How are you feeling?" she asks him with a gentle smile.