Chapter 14

[Name] quickly found herself liking her new class. She got through her classes with, surprisingly, less trouble than she initially thought -although Ms. Jelavic's "English" class completely blindsided her. And her classmates, as well as Koro-sensei, were all very helpful in explaining words and phrases that she couldn't understand and also in helping her get accustomed to the new homework regimen. She had also gotten a lot of "inside information" about everyone in the class, courtesy of the girls who had immediately taken a shine to young [Name]. The first day seemed to go by so fast she wasn't even sure of what happened and it wasn't until she was walking down the mountain with the other students of E-class (excluding: Karma, Terasaka and his merry band, a few kids that were absent, and the Autonomously Thinking Fixed Artillery, aka Ritsu, who apparently lives at the school or something) did she realize:

I just went to school.

[Name] froze as the thought repeated in her head once more:

I

Just

Went

To

School.

Dang it my school life is going to be awesome! She smiled enthusiastically. Kanzaki, who was walking next to her, noticed her enthusiastic look and asked what she was thinking about. "Just today. I mean, this place is awesome compared to my school back in [Country]. And no school in anime that I have ever seen was as amazing as this one!" [Name] answered energetically. The smile on Kanzaki's face betrayed her downcast look as she said, "It's not as amazing as you think [Last Name]-chan." [Name] turned to her confused. "Why do you say that?" "...You'll see soon enough," Kanzaki said with her usual smile before turning downcast again. [Name] turned away from Kanzaki to see that entire group had the same look of heavy depression. An awful feeling of guilt welled up in her chest and she bit the inside of her lip, feeling bad for unknowingly upsetting them. Kurahashi took notice of the heavy atmosphere overtaking the group and immediately piped up with, "Hey, [Last Name]-chan, what was your old school like?" [Name] panicked a bit internally when she heard the question; choosing the simplest answer so she wouldn't have to go into details. "O-oh? W-well, I was home-chooled growing up. Up until a year ago, that is, when my parents decided to let me study at a public school." "What was it like being home-schooled?" Tsugino asked. "It wasn't bad, just sort of lonely. I got up at 6 did my schoolwork from 7 to 12 ate lunch and then I was free to do whatever I wanted." "You only studied for 5 hours?!" Tsugino asked incredulously. "Yeah, I only had the five basic subjects: Math, Biology, Chemistry, English, and History, for fifty minutes each with ten minute breaks in-between." The other's jaws dropped and silence engulfed the group before questions practically flooded in from all directions. [Name], used to being questioned about her uncommon education, answered each person calmly and as best she could. Though one question in particular asked by Kayano, caught her off-guard. "Hey, [Last Name]-chan, why were you home-schooled in the first place?" "Uh, I- what?" "Why were you home-schooled? It just seems like a strange thing to do, so I was curious." [Name] paused to think of best way to answer without giving too much away. "Well, back in [Country] my family is kind of well-known; my parents home-schooled me because if I went to a public school I'd just be a sitting duck for people with ill-intentions. They're good people ,really, it's just that they have a lot of... enemies." [Name] explained with a bit of reluctance. This caught the attention of Rio Nakamura, a pretty girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes, as she turned to [Name] with piqued interest. "Really? So then what made them decide to send you to public school?" "I-I don't know. They just did, I guess." [Name] answered, pretending to be distracted with fixing her scarf. Nakamura hummed not convinced at all. "Wasn't it lonely, though? Suddenly having to go to school I mean." Okamura asked. [Name] shrugged. "Not really. My older siblings had been attending the school ahead of me anyway so I just hung out with them." "You have older siblings?" Asked Maehara and [Name] immediately regretted her choice of words as this brought on another onslaught of questions such as, "What are they like?" "How many do you have?" "Do you all look alike?" [Name] immediately withdrew herself as remembering her family in her current situation still wasn't easy for her. "Uhm, I'd rather not talk about it." "How come? Did something happen?" "Can we please just drop the subject?" [Name] asked keeping her eyes locked onto the ground so no one would notice how they were becoming red and puffy. "Oh! I know!" Said Fuwa. "You and your siblings got into this HUGE fight, and you stormed off. But, before you could have the chance to apologize, you're entire family was killed, brutally murdered, before your very eyes! You didn't even get the chance to apologize for the awful things you said to them... Which is why you've come to Japan to seek your family's killer and exact your revenge!" She exclaimed with a look of burning passion reflecting in her eyes. "Uh... Don't you think that's a little dark for a middle school student, though?" Asked Mimura. Kayano looked to [Name] and how upset she looked. "Hey, [Last Name]-chan, is everything okay?" She asked concerned. "Hm? Oh, I'm fine. Don't worry about it." She gave Kayano a closed eye smile and then noticed that they had finally reached the bottom of the mountain. "Oh look we're here. I have to go now, see you tomorrow!" [Name] said quickly rushing towards the steel gate that lay directly ahead. "[Last Name]-chan, wait!" Kayano called out to [Name]'s retreating figure. "Do you think we struck a nerve?" Tsugino asked. "It must have been Fuwa's weird story. She was probably put off." Said Maehara. "What?! Weird story, how dare you!" Growled Fuwa.