Chapter Twenty One: Pregnant

★Colette★

On the way home, Kent stops at the drugstore and picks up some pregnancy tests. My heart pounds in my chest as we drive. I keep rereading the directions until I know them by heart.

We make our way into the house and upstairs to the bedroom. As we make our way up, I'm opening the box hastily and pulling out two tests, just to be sure. I take deep breaths before I enter the bathroom.

When I come out, Kent is sitting on the edge of the bed. He's stiff as a board, I wring my hands and shake a little bit.

"It should be around four minutes." I whisper, he looks up at me.

"Why don't you get dressed in something comfortable?" he suggests and I nod. I strip out of my dress and bra, pulling on one of my nightgowns, it's white and stops mid thigh. Kent is still sitting rigid on the bed, looking worriedly at the floor. I walk over to the bed, getting on it and straddle him from behind. I rub his shoulders and kiss his neck.

"Everything's going to be okay." I tell him, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. He tilts his head back.

"I hope so, I'm scared Colette." he says softly, bringing me to the front of him, burying his face in my neck.

"Me too." I whisper back.

Four minutes is up faster than either of us expect. I glance at Kent and bite my lip. "Should I. . .?" I hesitate pointing to the bathroom.

He looks up at me and sighs, linking our hands together. "We'll go in together, okay?"

I squeeze his hand and pull him into the bathroom, sudden giddiness takes over me as I think this through. Pregnant. Baby. My baby. I'm suddenly excited to be pregnant. I walk over to the counter where I left the test and pick it up gingerly. As I stare down at it, a breath hitches in my throat.

There's a big red plus sign.

The seriousness of the situation hits me immediately, but as soon as it does, it's pushed away. I drop the test back on the counter and turn to face Kent, he's staring at me, gaging my reaction, I'm sure. Without warning, I break out into a smile.

"I'm pregnant." I whisper, my hands finding my stomach. Slowly, Kent's hands cover mine and he leans his forehead on mine, our gazes lock.

"Are you as scared as I am?" he asks softly, I stretch up on my toes kissing him gently.

"I can do it if you can." I tell him, lacing my fingers behind his head. His hands are still on my stomach, rubbing soothing circles.

"We can do it. I have faith in us." he smiles, then kisses me softly.

★★★★★

A pounding on the door wakes me up. I groan and sit up, rubbing my eyes like a small child. A hand tightens on my hip and look at Kent, who is staring at me drowsily. We spent most of the night talking about the pregnancy and talking through his work schedule for the next nine months and mine for that matter. A few other key ideas came up that we still need to work through.

"What's that noise?" he mutters, I smile and lean down to kiss his head.

"Someone is at the door. Don't worry, I'll get it." I tell him, getting out of bed, before I make it to the door, he groans.

"You could at least put on some pants. I can see your ass." he mumbles, I smirk and walk over to the closet and pull out a pair of Kent's boxers. I roll them up so they're not that noticeable under my gown, then walk to the door.