Scared of the Past

**Tobias' POV**

Tris walks out if the apartment, hugging Thalia and Sarah Jane quickly and kissing me. She grins and hurries off to her meeting with Max.

"Do you got work today, Daddy?" Sarah Jane asks, tugging in the hem if my shirt. I nod and she frowns.

"You will get to go to your grandma and grandpa's today!" I say, hoping to bring her spirits up. Her eyes brighten and she smiles. 

"I'm gonna go tell Thalia!" She cheers and runs out of the room. I smile to myself and begin to may some sort of quick breakfast. I decide that eggs would be good, both of the girls love them. I get out a pan and some spray butter thing and, of course, the eggs. Sarah Jane rushes back into the kitchen, but she doesn't look near as happy as before. 

"What's wrong, Peanut?" I ask, letting the pan heat up and turning towards her. 

"Thalia's sad." She says. She points to Thalia's room and I close my eyes, remembering what happened the last time we dropped Thalia off at her grandparents. 

"Alright, stay in here, I have to talk to your sister, okay?" I say, clicking the stove off. Sarah Jane nods and sits at the kitchen table with a princess colouring book and markers. I make my way into Thalia's room. 

"Thalia? Are you alright?" I gently knock on her door with flowers and stars painted about. Her and Tris did it when she was younger. A small sniffle penetrates through the door and since there is no lock, I slowly push the door open. 

Thalia sits on the already made bed and clutches her tattered and torn teddy bear by the name of Teddy. She rocks slightly and sniffles often. I know what's wrong with her, but I don't know how I can help. I sit down on the bed beside her and pull her into an embrace, she buries her head in the crook of my neck and wraps her arms around my torso, her teddy bear falling to her lap. 

"It's alright, Baby girl, I've got you. You won't ever be hurt again, you won't ever be taken again, you won't ever be scared again." I whisper, rubbing her back, wincing when I feel the strips of skin sticking out in horrid white lines. 

"I'm scared, Daddy. I'm scared..." She chokes and I hold her closer. Her tears drip onto my shoulder but I don't bother to wipe them away. 

"Shh, it's alright to be scared." I whisper soothingly but it does little good. 

"Do I have to go to Grandma and Grandpa's, Daddy? What if the man comes back?" She says, her voices shaky and thick. 

"No, we'll figure something else out." I say, then remember that Zeke doesn't have work today and loves hanging out with Thalia. "What if you went over to Uncle Zeke's today?" 

"O-okay," She say, pulling back and wiping away tears with a shaky hand. 

"Come on in the kitchen, I'm making your favourite breakfast." I say and she grins, wiping away the last few tears, though her face is still puffy and red. 

Thalia and Sarah Jane sit at the kitchen table, drawing together while I finish breakfast. Sarah Jane sloppily but beautifully colours a girl with red hair and a scaly tale--weird. Thalia colours three people in black robs--one has shaggy black hair and a lightning bolt on his forehead, one boy has a robs to short and vibrant red hair, and the girl has frizzy brown hair and a face splattered with freckles--they all hold some sort of stick. 

"Is breakfast almost done?" Sarah Jane asks, adding the finishing touches to her picture of the human fish thing. 

"Almost," I reply. The eggs cook rather fast so soon I'm plating out three dishes of eggs. Thalia eats hers silently, continuing to draw her picture. Sarah Jane suddenly drops her crayon and claps her hands. 

"Do you like my drawing, Daddy?" She asks joyously, her eyes wide. 

"It is beautiful, you are a very good artist." I say and smile. "What is the picture of?"

"The Little Mermaid, silly." She says like its the most obvious thing in the world. 

"Ah, of course. I see it now," I say. 

"Will you take it to work with you?" She asks hopefully. I nod and she cheers happily. Thalia still hasn't said anything. 

"Thalia, are you alright?" I whisper, leaning forward. She nods and continues her drawing. "What are you drawing?" I add, hoping to get her to say something.

"This is Harry-" She points to the boy with shaggy black hair and a lightning blot scar, "-and this is Ron-"-the boy with ginger hair and robes that are too small--"--and Hermione--" The girl with frizzy hair and a face full of freckles--"They're book characters. Do you like it?" She holds up the piece of notebook paper. 

"I love it, it's beautiful." I complement. She looks down and smiles. 

"Will you take it to work with you?" She asks shyly, like she's embarrassed. 

"Of course, and with both of these," I point to both pictures, "I can tell your Uncle Zeke and Uncle Uriah what good artists you both are." With that they both smile and continue to eat. 

* * * * 

"Are you sure you don't want to go to your Grandma and Grandpa's house?" I ask Thalia one last time, who clutches her bag, which contains her book, notebook, and drawing stuff. 

"I feel bad that I'm scared but I still don't think I'll be able to go..." Thalia whispers, fumbling with the string of her bag. "Is it bad that I can't go?"

"No, it isn't bad. It is never bad to be scared, but one day--not any time soon--you'll have to go over there, okay?" I say softly, clasping her small hand in my own.

"Okay. Can we go to Uncle Zeke's house now?" She asks, as if the last minute didn't happen. 

"Of course." I say. I pull out my phone to text Zeke. 

4: Hey, can you do me a huge favour?

Z: Yeah, bud, what is it?

4: You think you could watch Thalia today? She would have gone to her grandparents' house but she's scared. 

Z: Of course! I don't have work today, Shauna does. I can watch her. I'm assuming you have work today, right?

4: Yeah, and I don't think George would be too happy if I brought a ten-year-old into the Control Room.

Z: But George loves Thalia! 

4: Okay, I don't think Sarah Jane would be too happy if I took her sister to work and not her.

Z: You've got a point there.

4: I have to go, see you in a few minutes. 

Z: SEE YOU!

4: ... Idiot...

I slide my phone back into my pocket and look down at Thalia, who's blonde hair bounces with each step. She'd asked me to tie it back, but I had no idea how. 

"Uncle Zeke's house!" Thalia cheers when we approach Zeke's door. He must have heard the noise because he opened the door and grinned, pulling Thalia into an embrace. I mouth "thank you" to him before kissing Thalia's head and heading off to the control room. 

Happy Thanksgiving! Also, I'm sorry I haven't updated in forever but I just got back from my eighth grade field trip (It was amazing) so now I can update! Yay! What were your thoughts on this chapter? Good? Bad? Undecided? Anyways, hope y'all liked it! Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily
Be brave