First Day of School

Thalia's POV

I hear the front door open and I  rush out of the kitchen to see Daddy and that man having what looks to be a staring contest. I run over and wrap my arms around Daddy's waist and he lifts me up and I wrap my legs around his waist and bury my face in his neck.

He smells like soap and metal, and something like peppermint. He smells safe. Daddy and the man exchange words that are not so nice and Daddy grabs my jacket my puts it on my shoulders and leaves with me still in his arms.

* * * * 

Daddy unlocks the door and carries me into the house. I hear footsteps in the other room but am too tired to even lift my head. Daddy walks into what I think is the living room and I hear someone breathe out deeply, probably Mama. Then I feel a hand on my back and Mama's soft words.

I move my head slowly because I'm very sleepy and see Mama smile and kiss my forehead. I squirm slightly and lay my head back down on Daddy's shoulder and try to sleep. I'm very sleepy and I don't know why.

"I think somebody's sleepy," Daddy whispers and Mama agrees.

"I'll take her upstairs," Mama coos but Daddy says he'll do it since he's already holding me.

Daddy carries me up the steps and I normally try to count how many steps he takes, about thirteen, but tonight I'm too tired. He lays me down in my bed with my black sheets and I snuggle up to my stuffed bear, his name is Teddy. Daddy kisses my forehead, tells me he loves me, then leaves the room.

Tris' POV

Tobias takes Thalia upstairs, she must be very tired. She can get tired at the strangest times. I hear Tobias come down the steps and I go to greet him. He wraps his strong arms around my small body and holds me close. I can hear the hammering of his heart, normally so steady and calm is now racing. Encountering Marcus and Thalia at the same time must have nearly sent him into a panic attack.

"Why was Marcus there?" I whisper and run my finger up and down his spine.

"I don't know, probably to see Andrew and didn't know Thalia was there," His heart is no longer pounding as hard, but still faster than normal.

I put my hand over his heart and I feel the steady thump t-thump under my palm and I whisper, "Calm down, it's okay. We got Thalia away and we will keep him away. He won't get to her, I promise," 

He sighs and places his chin on the top of my head and I giggle and hear him chuckle. That's when something hits me. Thalia  starts school in a month.

"Guess what I just remembered?" I say and look up at him.

"What?"

"Guess who starts school in a month?" I cheer, but quietly so I don't wake Thalia. I didn't even realize that it was time for Thalia to go to bed. That was why she was so tired.

"You're kidding, right? I'm going to have to scare some boys away," He says with all seriousness.

"She's too young for that, Tobias," I counter.

"Never too young to start," He replies smoothly. I give up trying to talk him out of it because I know it's futile.

* * * * One Month Later  * * * *

"Come on, Mama! Daddy, we're gonna be lates!" Thalia screams from the living room.

"Coming," Tobias replies.

I follow him out and see Thalia standing in her black T-shirt that says I'm no pansycake! in cursive sparkly gold letters-- from Uriah, obviously-- and her light pink ballerina skirt with little sprinkles of gold all around, from me. She has another one from Tobias, but she, Uriah, and Zeke had a dirt fight when they were supposed to be babysitting so now it's covered in dirt. 

"Let's go, Princess," Tobias says and swoops Thalia up with ease and she giggles uncontrollably. 

"To school!" She cheers and we all laugh. I lock the door and we head off.

Dauntless has their own school, just like the other Factions, so their isn't mixed Faction conflict. And so Dauntless doesn't burn the place to ashes.

Tobas takes Thalia to the side and starts whispering to her.

Thalia's POV

Daddy takes me off to the side and crouches to my height and takes my hands in his.

"What do we say if people are mean to you?" He asks.

"Tell them my Daddy's gonna come and beat their little butts," I reply proudly.

"Good job, but don't tell Mama or she'll beat mine," 

I laugh and say, "Okay, I won't tell Mama. I love you," I lean forward and wrap my arms around him.

"Love you, too, Princess," He whispers.

I pull back and run over to Mama. She crouches down and fixes my pink puffy skirt and kisses my forehead.

"I love you, have a good first day," She hugs me gantly. "Oh, wait!" She pulls out her phone and tells me to back up. I grasp the straps of my dark red bookbag and smile. She snaps a photograph and slides her phone back into her pocket.

I run back up to her and hug her tightly and say, "I love you, Mama,"

"I love you, too, Thalia," She whispers and I pull back and run into the school building, pausing in front of the front door and waving once again, then hurrying into the school building.

Tris' POV

I watch Thalia run into the school building and rest my head on Tobias' shoulder. I love Thala with all my heart and I know that Tobias loves her too. I wonder what he would say if we were to have another baby...

Hehe, cliffhanger. In my defence, I haven't been doing too many cliffhangers, right? If I did, they weren't to drastically bad. Hope y'all liked this chapter! Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes! 

-Love, Emily

Be brave