What Was My Life like Before?

Tris' POV

I don't understand. I don't understand anything at all. Four, or Tobias, or whatever the heck his name is tried to explain everything to me, but it just doesn't add up.

Supposedly, I'm a Dauntless legend. Six fears. I wonder how they know that. Four also told me about his past, about his real name, and about his father. Then, he told me about the gang. Apparently they are our group of friends. 

The doctor came in when he was telling me about how he proposed and how I still have the notes. The doctor said I can leave later today once a few lab results come back.

My parents, and Marcus, also came in. That was basically just Four and him yelling and Mother and I sharing worried glances. Father just glares. I wonder if he and Four got along before.

* * * * 

The doctor had released me about ten minutes ago and Four is still signing a lot of papers. It's odd how much he knows about me when I know nothing about him. Exactly how much does he know about me? 

"Here," Four says and hands me a simple black band.

"What is it?" I turn the band over in my right hand.

"Oops, I forgot you had memory loss," He chuckles, "It's your knee brace. Mia, you don't remember her, tried to push you off a moving train and you hit your knee real hard. You messed up the tendons real bad and now you have to wear that and go to physical therapy," 

My eyes widen. Someone tried to murder me? I stay silent.

"You ready to go home?" He whispers.

I nod and he helps me stand, after showing me how to put on my knee brace. He keeps one hand on me the whole way home, whether it be on my arm, around my waist, or holding my hand. Is this how we normally are? Is there ever a normal for us? What is us? 

He leads me down unfamiliar hallways and corridors that I do not know. 

"Right here," He points to a deep brown oak door with a gold 46 printed in fancy lettering.

He leads me into the small apartment and I take in my surroundings. A small, but cozy, living room sits in the far back room connects to a medium sized kitchen. There are two doors on the left side of the room and one on the left. The bedrooms and bathroom, I assume.

There are little knick knacks scattered around the house. One that catches my eye is one porcelain flower with black petals and a green stem. It's beautiful, but I don't understand it.

"You picked most of these out," Four chimes in, snapping me out of my daze.

"Really?" I question.

"Yeah, half the time I don't even understand what they are, but you would place them all around and they just, stayed there. I never questioned it," 

I laugh and run my finger along the dark rose petal. He looks at me with a look that I can only describe as love, but I still don't understand why he would love me. I'm nothing special or extraordinary, just... Me.

I walk along the living room, running my hand along the dark material of the sofa and chairs. I approach the second door on the left side. The door is cracked open already, and I walk in. The bed sheets are dark and pulled taunt. There is a dresser and a closet. On the dresser is two statues, on is clear blue glass that looks a lot like falling water. I wonder what it means. The other is a porcelain ballerina, legs crossed and wrists by her knees, her tight, light pink dress thing falls mid calf and her eyes are shut delicately.

"It was a birthday gift, from your mother, I think," Four says while leaning against the doorframe.

"What's that one?" I point at the blue statue.

He smiles vaguely and says simply, "It was the one thing I brought from my old life,"

I nod, not pushing him any farther. He had said that he didn't have the best childhood, but didn't go into much detail. I walk over to him standing by the doorframe and glance into his blue eyes. They're a deep blue, almost black. I've never seen any other eyes like it.

His arm twitches, as if he thought about hugging my, but reconsidered, fearing my reaction. Before my mind can process what I'm doing, I wrap my small arms around his torso. He stiffens at first, but wraps his around my back, holding me in a life preserving hold. He strokes my hair gently, running his fingers through my blonde hair.

"What was my life like before?" I mumble, though it is muffled by his shirt.

"Well, it certainly is quite a story," He whispers and begins telling me everything, from when we got together, during stage two, to when he proposed, to when I was nearly murdered, and everything in between.

* * * * 

We sit on the dark sofa, his hand on my calf, not daring to move any closer and I mentally chuckle at his nervousness. I wonder what he would have done if I had not lost my memory. I seem to this this often. I still yearn for the life that I don't remember.

A knock interrupts my momentary daze.

"I got it," Four says, moving my legs off his lap and walking toward the door.

I can only hear parts of what is being said. Four comes in a moment later, his jacket in hand.

"Can you come with me? There is a problem down in the control room and Zeke says George needs my help. I don't want to leave you alone, in your condition, that is," He says quietly.

"I'll be fine here, you go and see what's wrong. I'll be here when you get back," I reply.

"Are you sure-"

"I'll be fine, Four," A look of hurt crosses his face when I called him Four.

He looks down, weighing his options, and eventually agrees. I don't want to have to have him around me all the time, even if I can't remember anything.

"I should be back in about a hour. If anything goes wrong, call Zeke or I, you've got both our numbers," He kisses my forehead and shrugs his jacket on.

"Bye!" I call out and he waves back with a smile.

Nothing should go wrong, right?

Another knock on the door rings through the apartment. Should I answer it?

I open the door, and there stands Marcus, Peter, and... Caleb?

"Caleb, what are you-"

Peter throws a blind punch and I collapse, watching my world go black...

Okay, I'm sooo sorry for my messed up updating schedule but school started and my schedule is crazy. Also, I should have another update today to make up for that and the cliffhanger. Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! 

-Bye, Pansycakes!

Be brave