I Know You're Still In There...

Tris' POV

All I can see is black. I can hear everything going on around me, but I can see nothing. Almost always I feel the gentle pressure on my hand as if someone's holding it, but I don't have a boyfriend nor would any of my friends hold my hand in the hospital. Why would they? We've only know each other for what, a week?

Everyday I fight to open my eyes to move, to do something. If I am here for much longer, with only the company of my own thoughts and the mysterious person speaking, I will go mad.

Today, I try just as hard to open my eyes, and this time, they open. The person sitting in the plastic hospital chair is the last person I expected. My instructor. Four. Why is Four here? Is he the one who would speak to me?

When he sees that I opened my eyes, I don't think I've ever seen him smile bigger. Or smile in general. He leaps from his seat and presses his soft lips to mine. It takes everything I've got to pull away and not kiss him back. I mean, yeah, I've always had a little crush on Four, but this is ridiculous!

"Four... What are you doing here?" I ask slowly, fearing his reaction.

His jaw drops and his sapphire eyes widen. Like I said, I've always had a little crush on Four, and I'd always loved his eyes. Okay, maybe that little crush is bigger than I though....

"What do you mean, Tris?" He asks sorrowfully, his smile dropping.

"What's going on? Why am I here? Why are you here? Why are you holding my hand? Why did you kiss me?" The questions swim in my mind and as I speak everyone his face goes slack and he stares at the floor.

"Y-you mean you really don't remember me?" He says slowly.

Shamefully I nod, a sudden dread coming over me.

"What happened?" I ask softly and look down at our still conjoined hands.

"Marcus. He came, he was mad at me. You were trying to help and he pushed you out of the way then you hit your temple on that stupid coffee table,"

"Marcus?" I question, now confused on why an Abnegation leader would be here at Dauntless and mad at Four.

"My father," He says so quietly I almost can't hear him. "I'll tell you it all later, but my real name is Tobias, only you call me that,"

I don't know what to think. Looking down at my hand, I notice that I have a ring on my left hand. A promise ring maybe?

"What's this?" I gesture to my hand and ring.

"It's our engagement ring, we were supposed to get married two days ago," 

Did not see that coming. I'm engaged?! To Four?! I thought he wanted to murder me!

My eyes grow cloudy with tears and I yearn for a life that I don't remember. He reaches up and strokes my hair gently, his movements small and precise, like he knows exactly what he's doing. Maybe he does. The feel of his fingers in my hair feel familiar, they feel safe.

"I'm sorry, I-" He cuts me off.

"Shh, it's okay. You have nothing to be sorry for. Get some rest," He says as he twirls a lock of blonde hair around his finger.

"Okay," 

Something inside me tells me that I won't be able to sleep without him by my side. It's strange and I don't know what to think of it.

"Will you lay with me? Something inside me tells me that I won't be able to sleep without you by my side," I mumble.

He smiles and nods then slides onto the hospital and before my mind can comprehend what my body is doing, I turn into his side and lay my arm over his chest and he wraps his arm around my shoulders, pulling me toward him.

This feels familiar. Safe, almost.

I don't know what I'm going to do now, but I know ne thing for sure: Whatever I do, he will be by my side.

"I know you're still in there, come back. I love you," He whispers in my ear as I feel sleep pulling me in.

Okay, I know y'all are mad at me, but I promise it will work out! Also, I won't be able to update near as much since I've started school again (I'm in the 8th grade) so... Yeah. Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

Love, Emily

Be brave