She's Back

Thalia's POV

"Thalia... Thalia, please wake up..."

"Tha... I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen... I'm so sorry..."

"Baby girl, please wake up, I love you..." 

"When Sissy wake up?"

"Please wake up, Princess. I'm sorry if I hurt you... I love you, please wake up..."

"Come on, Ten. You're strong enough to fight this... You're strong enough... Please wake up... I love you..."

So many people come every day and talk to me. I don't recognize every voice, but I do some. Mama. Daddy. Arikka. Sarah Jane. Uncle Zeke. I can't move. I can't open my eyes. I can't do anything but pray, just like Mama and Daddy taught me. 

Tobias' POV

I hurt her. My baby girl. I hurt her. They did a MRI X-Ray thing and said she had two broken ribs. Ms. Olyvia says anyone could have done it. Tris says that I was trying to help her. I hurt her, no matter what anyone else says. I hurt her. The one thing I promised myself I would never do: Hurt my family.

Tris' POV

Tobias won't stop blaming himself. He thinks that if it wasn't him restraining her, that she would not have two broken ribs. He's an idiot, anyone could have done it. And, as we've learned, he's the only one who can restrain her. 

I sit next to Tobias in a plastic hospital chair beside Thalia's bedside. She has been out for a week. The doctor gave her to much of whatever he gave her. They said it was the Peace and Truth Serum. She is so small, and cases like her's are rare, so they made a mistake. Tobias doesn't know that is why she hasn't woken up, we all know that he would kill that doctor who injected her. 

"Daddy?" A small voice croaks. "Mama?" 

"Thalia..." Tobias breathes and leaps from his seat and presses a light kiss between her brows. She tries to sit up but fumbles with the wires. Her fingers yank at her oxygen make but I place my hand on hers to stop her from panicking. 

"Baby girl, you have to keep that on."I whisper an re-adjust her oxygen mask, which covers half of her face. 

"Mama, what happened?" Thalia mumbles.

"You had another panic attack. It was the worst one yet. Your dad had to restrain you, and if you have any chest pains that's why, I held your hands and whispered your poem."I say and she smiles slightly.

"Oh, tank you, Daddy. Tank you, Mama." She whispers and her head droops. 

"Go to sleep, Princess. We'll be right here when you wake up." Tobias says and brushes a strand of blonde hair out of her face. 

"Can you say my poem, Mama? From where you left off?" Thalia asks, I nod and grasp her hand lightly. Tobias wraps his arm around my waist. I rest my head on his shoulder and continue her poem:  
This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing 
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease recliningOn the cushion's velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o'er,But whose velvet-violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,She shall press, ah, nevermore! 
Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censerSwung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor."Wretch," I cried, "thy God hath lent thee—by these angels he hath sent theeRespite—respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore;Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this lost Lenore!"Quoth the Raven "Nevermore." 
"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!—
Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted—
On this home by Horror haunted—tell me truly, I implore—
Is there—is there balm in Gilead?—tell me—tell me, I implore!"
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us—by that God we both adore—
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore—
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore."
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."  "Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!" I shrieked, upstarting—

"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!"
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore." And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—nevermore! 

Thalia smiles sleepily before finally dozing off into a hopefully dreamless sleep. Everything is quiet, until the door opens. Tobias and I jerk our heads back and see a face that I haven't seen in over five years. Mia. Tobias stands, tells me to stay with Thalia, and walks toward Mia.

Tobias' POV (again) 

I push Mia into the hall, not wanting to wake Thalia. 

"What are you doing here?" I growl and take a step forward, causing Mia to take a step back. She smirks. 

"Mother. She sent me here, she was never convicted for kidnapping and torturing Thalia. Only Eric was. Mother wanted me to give you this," She hands me a folded up note. "Good luck, enjoy your time with your precious daughter, it won't last. Jeanine wants her. If her calculations are correct, Thalia will be the strongest Divergent ever." I grab the collar of her shirt and slam her into the wall. 

"Why does she think that?! Thalia is..." I sigh because I know that Thalia is Divergent, I know she is. "Thalia has no business with Jeanine. Or Evelyn. They will never see her, they will never touch her, they will never hurt her."

"Oh, but they will. You think losing Eric was the worst thing that could happen? Evelyn has connections everywhere. Candor. Erudite. Dauntless. Abnegation. Factionless. Even Amity. Don't think that nobody is okay with the new Divergent law. They are not safe. She is not safe." Mia pushes me away, smirks, and storms away.

I take the note in my hand and open it slowly. It reads:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Not Every Erudite is wise;
Not every Candor is honest;

Not every Amity is kind.
Watch your back, and that worthless daughter of yours. Jeanine will come back, she will get her. Don't question her resources, she can convince an Amity to kill, a Candor to lie, and an Erudite to ignore the facts. She is manipulative. We will be back.

~Evelyn
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I crumple the not in my hand and storm back into the hospital room, wondering how I'll tell Tris that her oldest daughter is being targeted. Then I remember something.

Why are they only going after Thalia? Why are they not threatening Sarah Jane? 

Then it hits me.

They don't know about her. 

Hi! If you haven't noticed by now, I really like poetry. And my favourite poet is Edgar Allan Poe, so I'll use a lot of his works in my stories. If y'all have a favourite poem, my personal favourite is A Stranger's Doom and The Raven, please message me, I may use them. Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave