Chapter Twenty-One

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: PRESENT DAY

Logan burst into my room, panting. I sat up on my couch abruptly, my headphones falling off in the process as I felt a pit of dread starting to build inside me. Logan wasn't much of a runner and if he was this out of breath it means he must've been sprinting or something pretty close to it.

"Logan? What happened? What's wrong?" I asked, setting my laptop aside and sliding off the couch, quickly kicking off my blanket. I jogged worriedly over to Logan's breathless figure, who was still hunched over and panting. He didn't say anything for a second, his cheeks pink and fighting for air.

"You. Have to. Come," Logan gasped out, starting to pull me out of the room, even though he was still out of breath.

I didn't resist, following him as we ran through the Mind Palace. Logan was all out panting at this point, and I was right on his heels. I could've run much faster, but I had no idea where I was going, as Logan had neglected to tell me what was going on. It showed he wasn't thinking clearly which only freaked me out even more. What happened?

My feet automatically slowed as we reached Prince's door. I glanced at Logan, but he didn't pay me any mind, bursting loudly into the room. Concerned, I followed him, but my footsteps still grew slower, now heavy with dread.

Why would they bring me here? Especially since... since everything happened...

I walked in, almost sheepishly, and the sight took my breath away.

Prince's room was gray.

And not only gray, but dark, charcoal gray. The kind of gray only my room should ever even come close to getting. Black, spiky handwriting was written all over the walls and I found myself gaping at only some of the words written there.

'I miss you, but I shouldn't'
'I need to let you go'
'I cannot let him see the damage that was done, I must save him, even if I can't protect my own'
'I do- I did not deserve him'
'Why did I expect him to love an egotistical, self-centered Prince'
'This is the point where the fairy-tale went wrong'
'why did I think he was my happily ever after'
'Why did I think I deserved a happily ever after'
'I'm sorry I wasn't good enough'
'I'm sorry I couldn't give you everything'
'I'm sorry for everything: the wrong, the right. In the end they just make the pain even worse'
'try not to think of you because remembering is worse'
'one day, you will find someone to run towards, instead of run away from'
'I will always wish that someone gives you your happily ever after...even if that person isn't me'

I turned away, tears beginning to form that I didn't want anyone to see.

Patton was crying, sitting in a white, wooden rocking chair on the far side of Prince's bed, gripping Prince's hand. He looked up when I came in, tears in his eyes. He'd obviously been crying.

But my eyes only met his for a second before flicking to Prince.

Oh my stars.

Nononononononononononononon-

I raced over to Roman, who laid motionless on his bed. His face was so pale, clammy. I grabbed Roman's hand - it was so, so cold.

Roman didn't stir when I grabbed his hand and his eyes remained closed. However, I could see his eyes moving under his eyelids, almost frantically. His hand suddenly gripped my hand tightly and he let out a cry, back arching off the bed in pain. His eyes were squeezed shut, tightly and his breaths came out in short, painful gasps. He shivered once before sinking restlessly back onto the many pillows that Patton must've placed around him.