Chapter Sixteen

PREVIOUSLY:

Roman opened his mouth, searching for the words to explain all this, but his eyes accidentally drifted to his left and there was Virgil - Anxiety - hiding behind his bangs. Roman let out a tiny gasp to find Virgil - ANXIETY - staring back at him.

Was... was it bad that Virgil looked...

Okay?

Like standing here together wasn't hurting him at all? Like their relationship truly didn't mean anything to him?

It hurt.

It hurt.

___________

P.O.V.: Roman, Third Person

Timeline: PRESENT DAY

"Okay - someone needs to tell me what's going on right now," Thomas said, face deathly serious.

Patton was hiccuping now, wiping away the remains the tears had left behind.

Roman avoided Patton's eyes, starting to feel guilty for manipulatating Patton into doing that - holding all his feelings.

Only he should know the weight - no one else.

"I - I," Roman tried to start, but his voice cracked and silence filled the room.

He coughed once to clear his throat - as if that had been what had stopped him from speaking rather than Virgil's eyes on him instead.

"Really, Thomas, you're getting all worked up for nothing - really," Roman argued, not meeting Thomas's eyes or anyone else's for that matter.

"You call Patton crying his eyes out nothing?" Thomas challenged, waving at hand at Patton, who was trying his best not to look like he wasn't doing just that. "Look - I know that I'm still learning about you guys, but... I want to help. And I can't do that if you guys are keeping secrets from me."

"Thomas... maybe it might be the best idea for you to just ignore... all of this," Logan suggested, but his eyes didn't leave Patton's.

"You too?" Thomas said, sounding a bit betrayed. "Something is clearly wrong and you want me to... to just ignore it?! Logan - honestly. I'm disappointed in you. How could you say such a thing?" Thomas said with watering eyes.

Logan didn't say anything for a long second. "Roman? Virgil? This is your call," he said finally, not looking at either of them.

Roman didn't move, didn't look at Vi-Anxiety. He didn't want to see his reaction to all of this.

"R-Really Thomas, it's - its nothing. V-V-Virgil and I just - just had a - uh - an argument -"

"We broke up," Virgil stated emotionlessly.

Roman stopped breathing.

Because no matter how many times he thought it, no matter how many times he considered the matter, there was no way this could be permanent. They didn't break up, it was just a fight. It would blow over and everything would go back to the way it was before, as it had every time before that.

And there Virgil was smashing the few walls he managed to build up with three words.

And not the three he wanted to hear - let alone face.

Roman didn't move.

How could he when his world had changed forever?

"... Roman?" Patton asked tentatively, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

And then Patton screamed.

Patton jumped backwards and his screams turned to sobs and his sob were heavy and sad and broken and all the others stood speechless. It was as if Roman had burned him.

All that Patton had gotten was a fragment of how Roman was feeling and that small touch had cause him to scream.

If that was only a fragment of how Roman felt...

"Roman, please say something," Thomas whispered as tears started rolling down his own cheeks, starting to feel the effects of an emotional Patton.

Roman opened his voice and not a sound came out. He tried again and still nothing.

No one dared to say anything.

Not once in the past 27 years of Roman's existence had he been quiet so silent.

Finally, shaking his head, he left his frame and walked over to Virgil. Virgil looked wide-eyed at the prince as Roman gently took the dark side's hand.

To stunned to do anything, he did nothing as the shattered prince placed a farewell kiss on the back of his right hand, right along the tips of Virgil's fingers, which were peaking out the ends of his extra long sleeves.

"I - I will not... I cannot make you... want to stay with me," the prince whispered so quietly, so only Virgil would hear him. "But I love you so, so much," Roman choked out. "And whether you love me back is of no concern to me, as my heart was given to you, as it will not be given to another.

"I only ask that it is worth something to you. Worth something that hopefully does not cause you pain to hold close," he whispered, letting go of Virgil's hand.

"For do not want that for you. I wish-" Roman cut off abruptly, pulling back.

Roman slowly backed into his frame, eyes never breaking away from Virgil's. Virgil didn't respond, staring back wordlessly.

Roman broke the gaze first, eyes dropping to the floor.

"Goodbye, my emo nightmare," Roman finished, sinking down without another word.

_____
P.O.V.: Virgil, Third Person

"V-Virgil?" Thomas choked out between sobs a couple seconds after Roman had sunk out. "Are you...?" Thomas trailed off, unable to finish.

Virgil didn't say anything at first, merely shifting his shoulders a little and fighting to rub his hand against anything, which had the remains of Roman's tears as evidence.

"Don't worry, Thomas - it's like Roman said," Virgil stated quietly tossing the hood over his head, letting his bangs hide the tears in his eyes that threatened to spill out - tears he had not dared show in front of Roman.

He started to sink down.

"It's nothing."

__________