Chapter Ten

The italicized part is all Anxiety, telling his story, just in case that isn't clear
Enjoy :)
__________________________

P.O.V.: Roman, First Person
Timeline: Flashback (cont.)

"Wha- What?" I stuttered. How did he know? Oh, who cares? Deny, deny, deny -

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Anxiety scoffed and leaned forward in his wheelchair with an amused smile.

"Now, Princey. We wouldn't be telling lies, now would we?"

"N-No."

Gosh, pull it together, Roman!

You.

Are.

An.

Actor!

"And I find it personally offensive," I started, "That you would accuse me of doing such a horrid thing. I mean, I understand we aren't on the best of terms, but come on! I just saved your life!"

"You're the reason my life was ever in danger!"

"Okay - first of all, why does a pair of headphones going missong put your life in danger? Honestly, that's just carelessness on your part," I ranted while I searched for an argument, "And why are you accusing me? Do you have proof?"

Anxiety smirked.

Oh no.

"Princey, what is my favorite color?"

"Purple," I answered automatically, not seeing the trap. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"And how - exactly - do you know my favorite color is purple?"

"Your socks," I answered, honestly, remembering the bright purple socks I'd seen him wearing when I snuck into his room. The best kind of lies are ones based on truth.  "Your socks are..." I drifted off, staring at Anxiety's socks which were very much not purple.

In fact, they were a light gray... But how?

Anxiety smirked at me. He didn't even bother to look at his socks, already knowing by my face what I saw.  He knew he'd won.

"That's real funny, Princey, because here's the thing," Anxiety said, leaning back all cliché like in his wheelchair, legs crossed. "My socks are purple."

Anxiety held up his pointer finger, continuing to explain.

"But the thing is... they only appear that color in my room, so the only way you'd know that they were purple is if you were in my room. But I would never let you in my room," Anxiety continued and my heart plummeted. "Which means you had to be snooping."

Okay, in my defense....

Who the heck has color changing socks?!

"So maybe I know that your favorite color is purple and that your socks are purple," I argued fruitlessly.  "That's not enough proof to accuse. Innocent until proven guilty," I answered, crossing my arms over my chest proudly. Wow, I'm good at this!

To my surprise, Anxiety laughed, not a real one, but a fake, mocking laugh.

"Are you so sure you want to keep lying, Prince?"

"I'm not lying."

"So are you calling me a liar?"

"I'm merely arguing my innocence," I dodged.