Chapter 20: The Massacre

Author's Note: Chapter 20! =D Well, tell me how you like this story so far! This is dedicated to MichaelGrandolfi. Thanks for your great comments! Deadline: Wednesday, June 6, 2012. Fan, comment, vote, share with friends!

I stare at the television in horror as I watch wave after wave of Peacekeepers filing into the interviews, each loaded with a gun and a belt full of deadly looking weapons. Thousands march into the interviews, but the Capitol citizens are still outnumbering them. There's over 10,000 Capitol citizens there, all of them fighting for Crystal and I.

To let us live.

My heart seems to break into thousands of miniscule pieces, shattering down my body like a broken window, the sound of the glass echoing not only through your ears, but through your whole body. Tears form in my eyes, but I choke them back as long as I can.

Despite the number of Peacekeepers, the Capitol citizens don't seem to show any fear. They fight back, holding up the posters of Crystal and I, demanding our return home. People scream for us, hold posters for us, chant for us, fight for us, do whatever it takes to let us live. I've never felt so much emotion running through a crowd, so much love and compassion at any Hunger Games. But I've made a turning point, and the people now demand for us to live. But that's when the first explosion goes off.

The sound of the bomb plays through my ears, blasting through my room. I can feel it run through me, giving me a shock and a jerking feeling. One of the bravest Peacekeepers just through some sort of highly advanced bomb into the crowd, designed to only kill living creatures, leaving the ground and the chairs untouched. I can hear the sound of all the innocent people screaming, taking their last breath before their eyes close forever, and their sole leaves this Earth to go to another place. I hear children crying, mixed with the frantic shouts of people running for cover, trying to spare their lives.

Just then, a second bomb goes off, exploding dead in the middle of the mob. I hear the shrill screams vibrating around my ears and through my room, giving me goosebumps. By now, I cannot turn my head from the television, no matter how gruesome the scene is. Thousands of people lie on the ground, dead. People dressed in freakish clothes, wearing too much makeup, and with abnormal wigs. Blood spots stain their clothes, covering up their face. Some people lie without arms or legs, with an eye missing, or a scorched back and a foot detached from their leg, or simply, just burned. People begin to run out of the stadium, but just then, a fresh wave of Peacekeepers file through the exit, trapping people. Hundreds of Peacekeepers guard every point of the surrounding walls of the stadium, making it impossible to exit. And I begin to realize that the familiar white armor the Peacekeepers wear is not touched by burn marks, which means their armor protects them from this bomb.

People, going crazy with fright, begin to throw their posters on the ground and run for the stage, the only place not armed with Peacekeepers. The posters get trampled under feet, and the mob no longer tries to protect Crystal and I, only protect themselves. People swarm onto the stage and begin climbing the ropes that hold the curtains together, but too soon, the Peacekeepers realize what they're doing. A few hundred lucky Capitol citizens actually make it over the walls and hang onto the roof, using the pipes and wires like monkey bars, swinging from pole to pole in order to reach the middle of the ceiling, where a big hole lies, in order for people to get fresh air at the interviews. But just then, Peacekeepers fire the guns at the ropes, trying to cut them. People get hit by the bullets and fall off the rope, bloodied with death. Finally, one rope snaps in half, and people fall to the ground and die a horrible death. They begin firing at the second and third rope, until they also snap. But by now, people have begun to climb back down, so not as many die. By the time they snap the remaining two ropes, nobody dares climb them. But the people on the roof are stuck, and they can either be shot by Peacekeepers or fall to their death. They sense this and try to move faster. But just as the first couple citizens make it outside and on top of the roof, somebody in the control room shuts the hole, crushing dozens of people who were trying to escape. Their remains fall to the ground, and I hear the sound of the impact even over the sound of the third bomb going off.