Chapter 13: Preparing

1. The number echoes through my mind, trying to find a home in my brain, but I just can't wrap my mind around it. 12. I don't know which one was more unbelievable. The 1 was definitely more heartbreaking, knowing that nobody will sponsor Crystal now that she has gotten a 1, but a 12? How can you beat that? You can't. I just can't believe it. I barely notice Darrien Flickerman giving the District 12 kids their scores. 12. 1. The worst and the best. The perfect and the sinner. The alpha and the omega. The 12 and the 1. I don't notice anything but everyone else's stunned reactions. Nobody here is stupid, except for possibly Jannie, everyone knows what this means. Who wouldn't? It's perfectly played. I didn't see this coming. And now that I did, I am too shocked to cry. Any chance of our survival is now demolished, we have no chance of living. Well, I at least have a greater chance. But now that they have given Crystal a 1, she is doomed. Any sponsors she had will ditch her now for sure and sponsor me, and of cours nobody new will sponsor her. Only me. That'll leave her vunerable, and all the tributes will spot her as an easy target and attack, knowing that it'll drive me insane and break my heart to microscopic pieces, the pieces flying through the arena like a swarm of angry bees, killing anything in its path. Of course they would do this! I was the first to admit that they'll do whatever hurts me the most, whatever the cruelest punishment is. And they know me all too well. To ensure that I watch helplessly as I watch my sister die. They know I would rather die, that that was my strategy. But know, the cruelest punishment would be for me to go home, to look into the faces of my family and friends, Crystal's friends...

I stumble back into the couch and nearly knock it over. Crystal's eyes are wide with fright. She knows whatever little chance we had of surviving, she had of surviving, is completely 0. Not a chance. And she knows it, because her eyes are filled with tears. Suddenly, I realize that she knows exactly what my strategy is: to let her live. I can't believe I didn't realize this before now. She's not dumb! Even Jannie is crying now, although Rhett and Grace are at least trying to control themselves for us two. Carly is remaining strong as well, although I see how hard she's struggling. But on the other hand, Jannie is a blubbering mess, her tears streaming down her face like a flooding river, washing and smearing away all her makeup, turning her into an evil clown. Even little Crystal is trying her best not to cry, because she knows how I feel. No, she doesn't. She doesn't have a little sibling. She wouldn't know. Tears pour down my face, but I'm unaware of it. Just like when I was trapped in dreamland, I knew nothing. Still don't remember my dreams, anyways. But I remember how it felt. I was utterly trapped and helpless, I knew nothing. I think I might have screamed, just like at the reaping. Every day is worse. It started at the reaping. Then Maggie dies. Then I cause chaos at the opening ceremonies. Then I find out the Lovebirds are married. Then Zane dies. Then we go to private training and I kill the Peacekeepers and burn down the whole Training Hall! And now this....

My head swarms with the information, all this damage I've caused. Finally I can't stand it anymore. I jump over the couch and leap into my room, locking the door behind me. I leap into bed, pull the covers tight over my head, and weep. I think perhaps Rhett comes to my door, tries to get me out of my room, but I don't recall because my head hurts too much and I'm too busy weeping and sobbing into my pillow, now soaked in tears. I throw it at the door and get a new pillow. This goes on for who knows how long, when finally I've cried my eyes dry and fall asleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in a tree, surrounded by a lush forest. It's beautiful, decorated with bright flowers, chirpping birds, and the smell of freshly baked cookies. The puffy clouds remind me of perfectly white cotton candy against a perfect blue sky. The bright sun shines through them, entrapping the woods in it's embrace. Everything seems perfect, too good to be true. Until I realize that I'm not just in a tree, I'm tied to the tree.