A Full Moon and a Memory Spell

"And what time do you call this?" Esther questioned with anger. The happy couples smiles disappeared and became puzzled. "You're lucky they decided to transform in a cave away from the woods tonight. It's the full moon tonight Niklaus, did you forget?"

Caroline spaced out as her mind began to process this new information.

Klaus had a sudden look of realisation on his face, "I am so sorry mother I forgot, I guess I was having too much fun with Caroline washing the clothes for you."

Esther raised an eyebrow, "and Caroline," He continued, "I put your life in danger by forgetting the day and letting us stay out longer than necessary. Please forgive me." he profusely apologised to his worrying mother and Caroline.

Caroline blinked several times and had a puzzled look on her face. "Why are you apologising?"

Klaus and Esther stepped back slightly baffled by her naivety. They began to explain that some men and women from around the village and the surrounding villages had a 'sickness'

"They are cursed with lycanthropy. Every full moon they transform from humans to wild beasts. Wolves." Klaus finished explaining.

"Werewolves?" Caroline furrowed her brow and remembered hearing this before. A wave of dizziness came over her but before she fell Klaus held her close and escorted her inside.

"Are you remembering something from us speaking of Lycanthropes?"

Caroline responded: "It seems so... why do I remember stuff in small bits?"

"It's like your memories are trapped and don't want to let you know what you are meant to know..."

Esther hummed and waddled over to a small cabinet in the far corner of the hut. "I wonder..."

Esther took out of the cabinet a stone mortar and pestle, some, what looked like herbs, a blue bottle of liquid and a piece of parchment that had writing on it.

She ground up a few herbs in the pestle and slowly added the liquid from the bottle. It was a dark red colour, possibly crimson, maybe scarlet. She quickly mixed it together and poured it into a cup adding some water from a boiling pot.

"The pipping hot water thins the solution and dulls the after taste slightly. Drink deep then relax."

Klaus looked concerned but was reassured by Carolines brave smile. She took the cup gingerly and could feel the warmth of the liquid resonating through the edge of the cup.

She wanted to wait a little longer but Esther advised she drank it as quickly as possible. So with her mouth burning and throat scorching she chugged, as best as she could, the red hot liquid.

Esther removed the cup from her hands and whispered an incantation. Caroline's face was cerise and had tears in her eyes. She fell to the floor, Klaus following her down resting her head on his lap.

"Mother, let me get her a drink!" Klaus was in pain watching Caroline writhe in agony like this.

"Wait! Let me complete the incantation." She mumbled some more bowing her head. "It is done."

Klaus raced to get some cooler water to soothe Caroline. She happily chugged the fresh water and sighed in relief gasping for more. Her mouth was numb as was her throat.

"Rest now child. You shall begin ro remember." Esther placed a wet cloth over her eyes. Caroline could smell lavender and something else...

"Mother what is this?"

"The cloth gives her darkness. It is wet to stimulate the brain to stay awake. Lavender let's her dream peacefully and Ginkgo improves memory and concentration." Esther explained as she put away anything she didn't use and cleaned he pestal and stone motar. "She will be able to focus on her memories and not what is right in front of her."