01

The slightly chilled, muggy early summer night air engulfs a young pair of siblings. The brick wall under them was cold, but they had since gotten used to it. The sky was nearly black, only being illuminated with small specks of light.

The older of the siblings, Lauren, stared up at the sky. She occasionally brought a rolled up, brown stick to her lips and taking a deep inhale from it before coughing a little. Her mind was going all over the place.

Any place is better than in that house.

Her parents argued constantly and it interferes with their sleep most times. When it first started up, Lauren would run to her twin brother Erick's room with a blanket and pillow in hand. The boy would do the same; coming into her room and sleeping on the floor.

That's when they were around 11 or 12. Now, they've just hit 17 and those nights turned into these nights. Both dressed in hoodies and passing the blunt back and forth without speaking.

Their parents never notices when their gone.

"First day of senior year later," the girl mutters, checking the time and taking another hit before passing it to her brother. He takes it and shakes his head, "Can't wait for it to be over already." He brings it to his lips and lets the feel good course his body gradually.

Lauren chuckles, "Hell yeah. Though, I'm also glad this summer is done with." Erick gives it back to her, blowing smoke through his nose. "At least we didn't have to deal with them for long," he says, earning a scoff from the older girl.

"But we were stuck with Abuelita for nearly two months. She didn't let us out of her sight."

"She's a paranoid old lady, of course she's like that," Erick says. "Also, we are her only grandkids."

Lauren mumbles a curse, taking a long drag from the blunt then gave it to Erick. "That may be, but we aren't kids that need constant supervision. In another year, we're grown."

Erick coughs into his fist then smooths his hand over his cropped hair. "True," he says, looking down where his feet would be. It was pretty dark out and their neighborhood didn't have street lamps. They had to rely on their flashlights on their phones.

The two fall into a comfortable silence, both thinking about similar things. Their thoughts mostly went to their parents, then their smothering grandmother, to how their entire teen years they've avoided the bickering adults.

They would rather be out in the freezing cold than sit and hear them scream at each other.

"I wanna move to Cali," the boy randomly says, looking up at the twinkling balls of light. Lauren releases smoke from between parted lips, looking at her brother. "What?"

"I wanna move to Cali," he repeats, but with a little giggle. Lauren smiles and shakes her head, "Why though? I heard it's too crowded and traffic is shit."

"I wanna see the Hollywood sign. And meet all kinds of celebrities when I make it. When we make it," he says, still looking up. The tone in his voice when he corrected himself caught the teen girl's attention.

"Make what exactly?" He thinks a bit then shrugs, "I dunno yet, but it's gonna be amazing." A faint smile finds it's way on his face. Dippy has always been a big dreamer while I'm more realistic, Lauren thinks to herself.

"You really think that or is it the weed talkin'?" She asks with a snicker. The boy breaks from his silent conversation with the stars to join in on the snickering. "We might wanna head back before they actually do notice we're gone," Erick says after their brief laughing fit.

Lauren gives him the rest of the blunt and raises a brow at him, not that he could see. "When have they ever?" Erick shrugs, smoking the last of it before flicking the weedless roach way. He scratches the back of his head, "I mean, they might and come looking for us?" He offers.