Sunset ✔

Chapter 13

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Scott's voice sounds as he follows Derek into the loft.

"It's not going to be forever, Scott. I'm just going to take them back home." Derek says plopping down on the couch. My eyes dart up.

"Wait what? We're going back to South America?" I stand up from the table and walk over to him.

"Cora said you both are."

"I wasn't told about this." I cross my arms over my chest. Derek furrows his brows.

"Cora told me-" The door to the loft swings opens and the one in question stalks inside.

"I was going to tell you, but I didn't have enough time with everything going on." She takes a breath. "I want to go back to South America and I just assumed you would come with me. Nothing good has come from being here anyway."

"Why would you want to go back there? Our family is here. We just found Derek again after all these years... even Peter but I don't know if that's a good thing anymore."

"I know, but... South America is my home and I thought it was yours too." She walks toward me. "We built our lives up over there and you just wanna abandon it?"

"This is a big decision, Cora. I want to go with you. You know, it's always been us. It's always been you and me-"

"Then come with." She crosses her arms over her chest.

"But what about everyone here? All the friends we've made. Cora, we finally found our family. How can we just leave them again?"

"So you aren't coming with?" Her face drops. My eyes dart around the room before looking over at everyone's faces Derek, Scott, Cora...

"I don't know." I breathe out. She looks me in the eyes for a moment before turning around.

"I need to go pack." She mumbles before going up the stairs. Silence takes over the loft as I watch her go.

"Um-" Scott interrupts the silence. "I have to get home. My mom's still a bit shaken up after everything." He smiles tightly at us before walking out of the loft.

"We're leaving tomorrow so..." Derek trails off.

"I'll let you know." I make my way upstairs to the roof and sit on a concrete block as I stare at the world below.

I have no idea what to do.

I want to go with Cora, we've been through so much together. I have to be there to look after and protect her. It's always been us...

But she's only a few minutes younger than me, she can protect herself. But what happened last time in South America... how can I be sure that she'll be safe?

I need to go with her.

Scott's face flashes in my mind as I stand up. I sit back down onto the concrete with a huff of air.

All the new friends I've made here. How can I just leave them? Three of them are going to be experiencing some terrible side-effects from basically dying... how do I just abandon them?

But friends are temporary and family is forever.

Are you sure about that?

I groan as I cover my face with my hands.

What do I do?

"Still can't decide?" Derek plops down next to me.

"Either way, I'm going to hurt someone. I'm going to abandon someone."