The Darach ✔

Chapter 9

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes, all tools the writer uses to tell their story."

I tap my fingers on the desk as Ms. Blake stalks around the class with her heels clicking each step. I let out a breath and turn my gaze outside the window.

I really envy Cora right now. I wonder what she's doing. I wonder what Derek's doing...

Are Ms. Blake and Derek together? Why else would the Alphas bring her with if she meant nothing to him? If they are together and Derek's happy then so am I but she's still my teacher.

And that just feels wrong...

"Ms. Hale." She stops next to my desk. "Are you paying attention?"

"Sorry what?"

"Apparently not. I don't know about you, but I don't think staring out the window is going to teach you anything about figures of speech."

"I think I'll manage. I'm pretty unique if you haven't noticed." I smile at my attempt at an idiom.

"Yes you are." She says with a slight smirk before turning to Lydia, next to me. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." I follow her gaze and see Lydia drawing a tree.

Again? She must really love trees.

"You and every guy I've ever dated." She responds with a smile. I let out a light laugh at her boldness.

"Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way." Ms. Blake stumbles, continuing to walk forward. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture." She says while glancing at me, Scott and Stiles. "They're phrases that only make sense if you know keywords. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'."

"Like chess."

"That's right, Stiles." She turns to look at him. "Do you play?"

"Uh, no. My father does." She smiles before continuing her walk to the front of the class.

"Now, when does an idiom become a cliche?..." She continues. I rest my head on my hand as I turn my gaze to Scott in front of me.

"What's the plan?" I whisper to him. He leans back and turns to face me.

"What plan?"

"To get even. They killed Boyd, remember."

"We're not going to kill anyone." His eyes widen.

"I know, I don't want to either but Cora's getting frustrated."

"Can't you talk to her."

"I've tried. She's even more stubborn than Derek." I click my tongue. "Maybe if we try talking to the Twins or something? But I don't think Aiden is really a 'let's talk about our feelings' kind of guy." Scott thinks for a while before leaning over to Stiles.

"I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk." Scott whispers.

"What do you want to do that for?"

"If we talk to Ethan maybe he'll see reason and tell us what he knows." I bring up.

"The druids are emissaries, right?" Scott adds. "So what if the Darach was an emissary to the Alphas?"

"Okay, first of all, I cannot believe that we've gotten to the point where a sentence like 'what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas?' actually makes sense to me." He breathes out. "Second of all, we're gonna have a huge problem getting to Ethan."