conversations (a)

"eds?" richie asked through the phone, hoping for the life of god his sixteen year-old, asthmatic boyfriend would pick up his phone.

"rich! hey, guess what happened!" eddie giggled through the phone, and a rush of relief ran through richie as he angled the phone to rest on his shoulder, so he didn't have to use his hands to hold the phone up.

"my mom almost fell down the stairs today and she almost fell on top of me and i screamed. it was hilarious, you would have to be there!" eddie laughed through the phone, using his pointer finger to twist the phone cord.

"what did you call me for, anyways?"

"eddie, i just want to say i love you. i mean it." richie groaned, trying to sound as normal as he could for eddie, he couldn't hurt him.

"really? richie, what's wrong? are you drunk, you never get serious--," eddie chuckled, sitting down in a chair next to the phone.

his mother walked over, trying to pry the phone away from him, but he brushed her off.

"nothing's wrong. i just love you so much. i love you so much and i want to let you know that whatever happens, i will always love you and i will always be here for you." richie said through the phone, trying not to show too much emotion.

"i love you too rich." eddie smiled, blushing a bit with richie's sudden interest in affection for the boy, more than usual.

"so, how was your day?" richie asked, gritting his teeth a bit.

"okay, well, after we hung out i went back home and read for like an hour. nothing big, we only left each other for a few hours." eddie chuckled, and richie laughed.

"how was yours?" eddie asked, and richie changed the subject easily.

"so, i'll come over tomorrow to pick you up for school." richie said, and eddie nodded, although richie couldn't see him.

"yeah. i'll see you tomorrow rich. i love you, bye--,"

"wait!" richie shrieked, making eddie flinch.

"sorry, i just wanted to say i love you one more time. i love you, goodbye love."

"goodbye bubba." eddie almost whispered through the phone.

richie hung up and immediately choked out a sob, the phone falling to the ground and cracking, his hands wrapped around his waist.

"i love you, eds..." he whispered to himself, crying harder as he lifted his hands off his chest, revealing a stabbed chest, and he placed his hands back on it, knowing he wouldn't make it.

he knew he was going to die, the thought first popped into his head when his dad stabbed him. he looked over at his dad's dead body and groaned, hitting his head against the wall.

he wasn't going to make it, he knew this.

he felt a great weight lifted off his chest as he heard faint siren alarms in the distance, and smiled to himself, letting the light into his eyes as he stared up at the ceiling, not feeling as his body slammed against the ground.

he got to hear the voice of his true love one last time, and that was enough.

eddie was enough.