4.3

Vernon, helpless, looked as his best friend crying. He always had trouble consoling people, for he wasn't someone good with words. Instead, he hugged Seungkwan silently, patting his back and allowing his friend's tears to soak through his shirt.

"Tomorrow, we're supposed to rehearse the comeback stage." Seungkwan sniffed, wiping his eyes, still leaning on Vernon for support. "I don't think I can make it."

"Seungkwan-" Minghao started to say, but stopped. What could he say? Sorry your mom got in an accident, now get over it and perform?

"I mean, I'm pathetic." He smiled bitterly through his tears. "I'm a grown man, and yet I'm crying like a baby."

"That's not pathetic. Who said adults aren't allowed to cry?" I said softly. Vernon hugged him tighter, his eyes begging me to say something, anything, to make his friend feel better. "Seungkwan, look at me." I said, and he turned, slowly, to face me. "Your mom is going to be alright. We can call the hospital to check on her whenever we can. Do you know why the manager wouldn't let you leave?"

He shook his head.

"It's because he knows your mom would want you to stay. Your mom wouldn't want you leaving your career behind just to see her. She's proud of her son, it would break her if you failed because of her." I said. Saying this made me emotional as well. Trying not to choke up, I continued. "Your mom will be doing her best to recover from the accident, because she knows it would break you if anything happens to her. She's a strong woman, Seungkwan, she'll survive anything to see you smile. So let it all out, Seungkwan. And when you're done, wipe your tears and head to the rehearsal, continue your career as an idol, and make your mom proud."

I turned to the others, who were all staring at me, as if in a trance. "We are in tough times right now. And I know you all are trying your best. But most of you are holding on for the fans, not for yourself. As a fan, it hurts me when I see all of you working so hard just to please your audience. Work hard, train hard, and succeed, not for your fans' sake, but for your own."

I felt Jun's arms around me, and I looked up to see him smiling down. "You too, Yenling." He said. "Don't be too hard on yourself. Don't blame everything on yourself, alright?" He lightly kissed the top of my head.

Seungkwan let out a sob, startling me. Did I make it worse? I looked anxiously at Vernon, who gave me a tiny smile, mouthing, he's okay. "Thank you, Yenling." He said between hiccups. He smiled, a genuine smile. "My mom is strong. She won't die from a car accident. And I don't want to let her down." He stepped away from Vernon, wiped his tears on his sleeve. "Come on, Hansol. Let's go to sleep."

They turned and walked to their rooms, Vernon still with his arm protectively around his friend's shoulders. He turned and gave me a nod of gratitude.

Even though I said all that, something wasn't right. It was too much of a coincidence for two bad things to happen at the same time. It felt like someone was deliberately pulling the strings behind the scene. And I didn't have any trouble guessing who it was.

A small tsk sounded behind me. I turned, just in time to see Sunhee glaring at me from behind the door to our room. With a soft thud, the door shut. So Sunhee had been eavesdropping. Go figure. I tried the doorknob. It was locked. Screw whoever put me and her in the same room.

"Guys, I'm sleeping on the sofa." I said to Junhui and Minghao. "Good night."

"No, wait. What's wrong with your room?" Jun asked.

"Locked. Guess Sunhee didn't want to see me."

"Well, I wouldn't want to see someone who slapped me and pushed me down either." He said, shrugging.