Chapter 14

Ryan sat beside Gavin, looking down at his hands. "So, why did you want me to stay so badly? I know it wasn't to clean your wreck of a room or because you're injured. So spill."

"No. I can't," the lad looked away.

"Is it about what Geoff said?"

Gavin bit the inside of his cheek, contemplating on answering. He decided against it, not wanting to get in trouble with his Dad.

"Okay, so don't tell me. I'll ask a different time." Ryan sighed and carded a hand through his hair.

"Thank you.. Can you hand me my phone?"

"Well, where is it?"

Gavin shrugged. "No clue."

Ryan gave an exasperated sigh and started looking for the phone. He checked the side table, the drawer, and even under the side table. He stood up and went to his dresser to check.

The gent looked on the top of the dresser. It wasn't there. He checked the floor; it wasn't there. He glanced under the bed, and guess what, it wasn't there.

"Why don't you try calling me, you sausage?" Gavin suggested.

"That.. That actually sounds like a good idea." Ryan took out his phone and called Gavin's. A ringtone similar to a shriek came from his closet. He started toward it and opened the closet, his phone on the floor. He picked it up and hung up his phone.

He walked back to the bed and handed the phone over.

"Thanks, Rye-Bread." Gavin gave a small smile. He got on his phone and started to check his messages.

There was a knock on the door and Geoff poked his head in. "Hey, Ray and Jack is here. Ray says his contact, Kerry, is on the way over. Ryan, could I have a word?"

"Of course, Geoff. Be right out," Ryan responded. He patted Gavin's bed. "I'll be right back, okay?"

The injures nodded and looked down dejectedly.

The two gents stepped out to talk. Geoff stood with his tattooed arms crossed over his chest.

"So, I take it that Gavin knows?" The Ramsey asked.

"Gavin knows what?"

"The thing. You know. The whole fucking reason you went Mad King?"

"Oh. No. He doesn't."

"Good. Now, exactly how hard and where did you hit him on the head?"

"Why?" Ryan hesitantly asked.

"Because. It might be important for the nurse to know."

"Oh. Well I hit him about right here with enough force to knock him out - which, by the way, doesn't take too much - yet not enough to injure him. I mean, maybe after the wreck the impact worsened the temporary pain. I didn't expect him to wreck."

"I don't care about your bull shit explanations right now, Haywood. Turn around real quickly."

"Oh, I see why now. You want to hit me. Just punch me in the chest. It'll be less pain for you."

"What are you fucking implying, Ryan?" Geoff's face started to sour.

"All I'm saying is that a chest is softer than a cranium. That's all."

"Just. Go back to Gavin, Ryan. I don't need your fucking scientific bull shit right now."