Chapter 12

Gavin was laid in the back of Geoff's car, the suit jacket laid over him like a blanket, and all three seat belt buckles wrapped around him. Ryan chuckled to himself.

"You get to end your day the way you started it, Gavin. Tied up in the back of a car I'm driving." The gent got in the driver's seat. He started toward the penthouse.

"Yay, lucky me." Gavin mumbled sarcastically. "Only this time, I'm trying to be helped, not hurt."

"I wasn't trying to hurt you! God, no. I just threatened to. I had to. Look, I don't want to argue with you right now." Ryan gripped the wheel tighter. He carefully avoided a hole in the middle of the street.

"Fine. Then just turn on some music. Quietly."

He turned down the volume on the radio before turning it on. He switched to a station that wasn't hard rock. He laughed as he realized what song was playing.

"What are you laughing at?" Gavin quirked an eyebrow at him. He immediately winced and just gave up.

"This song was playing earlier when I was driving to McDonald's." Ryan had a bemused look on his face.

"Sing to me, Ryee. I'm injured."

"What? Don't be ridiculous. I can't sing. I'm the Mad King."

"King rhymes with sing. So..sing."

"Whatever. Fine." Ryan gave in. "The songs on the radio are okay."

"BUT MY TASTE IN MUSIC IS YOUR FACE!" Gavin burst out laughing, joining him. Ryan glanced back at the lad and rolled his eyes, returning them to the road.
(Italics is Ryan. Bold is Gavin. Both is both of them.)

"And it takes a song to come around to show you how."

"She's a tear in my heart."

"I'm alive."

"She's a tear in my heart."

"I'm on fire."

"She's a tear in my heart."

"Take me higher."

"Than I've ever been." The two let that line repeat the few times it does on its own.

"This part's mine. Back off." Ryan said, remembering the morning.

"You just wrecked in my, car. I'll drive the whole time. But that's okay, I'll just avoid the holes so you'll be fine. I'm driving here I sit, cursing that I'd admit, that I'd tell my boss THAT I'm such an idiot."

"Ryan! Those aren't the words!" Gavin laughed.

"No, but they fit better now than they did this morning."

"Wait, you sang those words this morning?"

"No. I just thought of them. What I meant was the original fit better for this morning; this version is for now."

"Oh. I guess that makes sense. But still, did you sing this morning while I was asleep?"

"Nope. I hummed though."

"Haha. Wow, Ryan the Hum guy."

"Shut up. We're here." Ryan pulled into garage and turned off the vehicle. He got out and went to the back seat to unbuckle Gavin. He carefully lifted the lad out of the car. He carried him to the elevator and pressed the button to the floor they presided on.

"Do. Dodo. Do. Do dododo." Ryan mindlessly made noises to the elevator music. Gavin rested his head against Ryan's chest.

'His heart rate is going berserk. I think he's lying about being okay. ' The lad thought. "Hey Rye? Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I'm positive," Ryan said, readjusting his grip. "Are you sure you are okay, Gav?"

"My head still hurts a shit ton. Speaking of which, when are you going to tell me what happened?" Gavin looked up at him.

"After the heist."

"But..Rye.. That's like, in a whole week." He whined.

"Technically, it's in 5 days. You'll live until I kill you."

"What? You're gonna kill me?" Gavin squeaked and wiggled to get out of his grip.

Ryan slightly tightened his grip. "No. I'm going to pretend to kill you in the heist, remember?"

"Oh. Right."

The elevator dinged and Ryan stepped out. He headed toward the penthouse door, one of the two only doors on the floor.