chapter twenty!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞

*    *    *

*    *    *

( 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖍𝖆 𝖕𝖆𝖈𝖙 )

Elle sat by her dresser, staring out of her window and thinking back over the previous night. She hadn't said a word since she came back home. She leant back against the chair, hands shaking slightly as she fiddled with her sleeve. Her anger had calmed down dramatically but it had been replaced with betrayal that made her heart literally ache and twisted her stomach into nausea.

Once again, her phone buzzed, another call from Stiles. She pressed cancel, still not wanting to speak to anyone (Lydia doesn't count, okay? The redhead was just as pissed as she was when Isabelle called her. Well maybe not quite as pissed, but the point still stands).

Her phone rang again. Stiles. She clenched her fist and went to turn it off when a knock on her door interrupted her. She swivelled round to see her mother standing in the doorway. Marie gave her a timid smile while Elle just carried on staring at her, no facial change. Her mother's face wasn't exactly helping with her new anger problem.

Marie sighed and entered her room, pulling her daughters blonde hair away from her neck. Seeing her daughters unchanging expression she tried to joke. "Okay, sweetheart. This is not a problem. Having gotten more than my share of hickey's in high school, I've developed some patented cover- up methods." She chuckled to herself, but got no response from Isabelle who just turned away and stared at the bruises in the mirror.

Rifling through the makeup drawers, Marie pulled out brushes, powder and cover-up. Elle, however, put a hand over hers to stop her. "You don't want to go to school? You don't have to." Marie told her softly.

"If I wanted to cover them, I would've." Elle said bluntly, her voice coming out raspy from lack of use. She looked at herself in the mirror, holding her chin up to view the bruise in the light.

Marie nodded and looked down, feeling awkward. She stopped playing with Elle's blonde hair, "Can I do your hair, at least?"

Elle raised an eyebrow, choosing to be petty. If she couldn't stay mad at her friends (She wanted to, she really wanted to but knew she literally couldn't, they could die at any moment) then she would direct it all towards her family.

"If you had your way, you wouldn't have anyone's hair to do would you? You know, not wanting any children and that."

Marie looked down, feeling herself beginning to well up. "How about a lift to school then? I'd be happy to take you."