Chapter 34- Attempted murder

Start from the beginning

As soon as I got up the stairs, I heard a loud thud and realised that the front door had been broken down. My heart was at the verge of jumping out of my chest and I quickly ran to my bedroom door and locked it behind me. I grabbed my phone which was on the dresser and with trembling hands dialled James' number.

"Hurry pick up the phone!" I whispered anxiously to myself.

My bedroom door was locked but I was still very fearful. If he could breakdown the front door then nothing would be stopping him from getting to my bedroom. I decided to run to the closet and locked the door. Hopefully he would not find me and leave our apartment with no clue that James and I had been hiding out here.

"James!" I whispered into the phone.

"Hey honey, I'm just leaving the restaurant. I got your favourite-," I cut him off.

"I'm in danger. One of Raymond's men found me. They're in the house,I.." I was cut off my the violent crash of my bedroom door breaking down. My heart started to pound against my chest and I hung up the phone and tried to push myself closer to the closet wall.

"Amara, come out, come out, where ever you are." the man said in a mocking tone.

I stayed absolutely still and watched in trepidation through the slits of the closet door. I could see him walking around the room and after a few moments, he left the room.

I released a shaky breath but was still too traumatised to move.

Suddenly, the closet door was ripped open and I let out a loud scream.

" There you are." the man said, grabbing me roughly by the arm and pulling me out of the closet.

"My, my. Look what we've got here. Amara! You're pregnant?" he said and I recognised him as Aaron.

"Aaron, what are you doing in my house?" I asked furiously.

"The boss was looking for you." he said, looking at me deviously, " He told me when I find you to squeeze the life out of your impotent body for betraying him. I can see James has been here to. He's the father of that bastard child."

"My baby is not a bastard!" I shouted at Aaron.

How dare he come here and disrespect me and my unborn child. Who does he think he is?

"Well, I'm just going to have to kill that thing inside of you first. I'll make sure you suffer." he said with stone cold eyes and sounding diabolical.

"No! Aaron, get away from me and my baby!"I screamed and tried to run away but he grabbed me with his huge hands and began to strangle me.

I struggled against him but he started to hit my belly, causing me to scream in pain. My eyes watered and I struggled to breathe. I started to see black spots when he was suddenly pulled off of me.

I collapsed to the ground feeling lightheaded and I gasped for air as my airways had been restricted.

When my vision was cleared, I saw Aaron's bloody body on the floor.

I looked up to see James coming towards me and he embraced me, wiping the tears which I had not realised had fallen from my eyes.

" Are you both okay?" he asked concerned, watching me intently and with concern written all over his face while rubbing my tummy.

I nodded in agreement and he helped me up from the floor.

"We have to get out of here. It's not safe. Pack what you need and let's go." James informed me and I nodded my head in agreement.

I quickly packed a suitcase with all the essential things we needed. James packed his duffle bag with the items he needed and then helped me down to the car, carrying my stuff for me.