IN THE BEGINNING...

Thank you all for being so patient. Fair warning, it starts off a little slow. This is my first story ever.

10 YEARS AGO

"Marquez! I'm not arguing with you tonight! I'm tired of having the same argument with you night after night! I am going to bed. End. Of. Discussion." Lynda shoves herself angrily into bed and pulls the covers over her head; blocking out the sound of her husband's annoying voice.

"Lynda! Lynda! Don't dare turn your back on me when I'm talking to you! This is important! We need to talk about this..." He sits at the edge of the bed looking back at the woman that he once loved more than life itself.  He stands slowly,  and walks to the window; tears rolling silently down his face.

Next door

"This is the third argument this week Connor, and it's only Monday. She's my best friend and Axelynn is my Goddaughter. I feel powerless." She buries her head deeper into the comfort of her husband's warm chest. "Every time I try and talk to her about it she says "everything is fine, stop worrying so much". Gabrielle says distressed. "I mean, I don't want Axelynn's childhood memories to be remembering nights full of arguments."

"I know kitten." Connor says rubbing his wife's arm in a comforting manner. "There's nothing we can do. Our involvement might only serve to make things worse. If Lynda says that it is fine, then we just have to pretend that it is, until it's not." He kisses his wife's temple in an attempt to soothe her.

A door in the hallway creaks open. Connor sits up in their bed. "Did you hear that kitten?" They both peek out of their door to find their 7 year old son Weylynn descending the stairs. They quietly follow him through the downstairs hall, past the living room, through the kitchen and out the back door, through the backyard where he disappears into the neighbor's yard and  backdoor.

"We-" Gabrielle, his mother, starts after him, but Connor holds her back.

"Let's see what he's up to."

Weylynn emerges a few minutes later, hand in hand with a teary eyed Axelynn. "That's my boy." Connor says in pride.

His parents quickly run back up the stairs and into their bedroom and peek out into the dark hallway from their semi-open door. Weylynn leads Axelynn into his room, tucks her into his bed and gets in on the other side.

Axelynn sniffles. "Walez?..."

"Hmm..." says a sleepy Weylynn.

She sniffles. "Why don't mommy and daddy like each other anymore?"

Weylynn sits up facing her and wipes away her tears. "Sometimes grownups just get mad each other. Maybe Uncle Marq ate Mama Lyn's Florecitas again. Uncle Marq probably just needs a timeout."

"Daddy wouldn't eat mommy's Florecitas. The last time he did mommy put him in the doghouse. I looked for the dog house I couldn't find it." She says slightly confused.

Weylynn looks at her thoughtfully. "Axe, you don't have a dog."

"I know, but that's where Daddy was."

"Well, if Uncle Marq is in the doghouse tomorrow, we can follow him when he leaves and find out where it is." He says with a confident nod.

"Alright."

"Good, now go to sleep or mommy won't make chocolate chip pancakes in the morning." He says laying back down and closing his eyes.

"Walez...?"