You Did Good

OUTSIDE POV

Maq pulls up outside of Jabb's house, just as Jabb walks out of the door. They head to the lake silently, wrapped in their own thoughts. Maq pulls up and parks under a tree. They get out and head to the pier.

"How is he?" Maq asks after a few moments of silence.

Jabb shakes his head. "Not good man. Not good at all." He kicks a stray stone in to the water. "You should have seen him. He had this blank stare." He runs his hand through his hair. "He doesn't deserve this. It's not fair to him."

Maq is sitting with his knees to his chest. "I know. I could pull some strings, but I don't know how much that would help. Or how long it would take."

"Anything is better than this." He mumbles in thought. "The evidence was more than enough to put Frank away. How could..." Jabb lays back facing the sky.

Maq runs his hands over his face, and leans back onto the pier. 

"How do we fix this?" Jabb clenches his jaw.

Maq springs up and takes off toward his car. "I have an idea. Come on!"

"I'm coming."

They get in Maq's car and head toward Jabb's house.

"Call me." Jabb says getting out of the car.

"Will do."

Jabb's mom opens the door and walks toward them. "Hey Ma!" They reply in unison and Jabb hugs her.

"How is he?" Maq asks

"Not good. Joe is with him now." She looks around cautiously, making sure the authorities aren't watching. "You guys got any ideas on how we can help him?"

Jabb rubs the back of his neck nervously. "No."

Maq gives her a look.

She nods in understanding. "Well, come on sweet pie. We have things to do."

"Okay. Be safe Dane." They call out to him as he pulls off.

THE NEXT DAY AT SCHOOL

"DIDN'T I TELL YOU TO LEAVE ME ALONE!" Axe yells at some dumb jock while he blocks her exit

He has her trapped between him and the wall. "Look I just want to talk to you gorgeous. I know you datin' that pretty white boy, but you can do better. I'm better. Why won't you give me a chance?" He says touching her face and leaning into her personal space.

She pushes his hand away from her face. He retaliates by grabbing her jaw and angling her face to his. "What are you gonna do now?"

She pushes him with her free hand, his grip slips. "I said, Leave. Me. Alone." She grits through her teeth.

He takes hold of her face once more. "Look I was trying to be nice, but you're pissing me off." He stares at her brieflyml. "Damn you're beautiful when you're mad." He tries to kiss her.

She brings her knee up and hits him in the forbidden zone.

He crumbles to the floor. "F$%^&*g B!@#h!!"

"Come near me again and I'll beat you like the puta you are!" She kicks him in the stomach once, before she walks off pissed and shaken.

She walks past her locker, past the cafeteria where Jabb, Reyke, and Walez are waiting for her.

"Axe! Where are you going?" Jabb catches her hand.

She yanks it out of his grasp. A look of panic crossing her face before she masks it with an unreadable one."Not now Jacob." She turns and walks off.

Jabb turns and signals the other two. They come running. Together they follow Axe outside to the parking lot. Walez signals for Jabb and Reyke to wait while he talks to her.

"Axe, what's up?!" Walez stops her by placing a hand on her shoulders.

She jumps.

He looks her in the eyes. "You're shaking. What happened?"

She doesn't look at him.

He lifts her chin so he can see her face. "Where is he?"

She doesn't speak.

"WHERE is he Axe?!"

"By the gym." She says in a quiet voice, a lone tear escaping.

He wipes away her tear and pulls her to him in a tight embrace. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for yelling."

She nods, not letting him go.

Later on that evening

Jabb punches him. The jock stumbles and hits the ground, hard.

"What the F&*k man?!"

Reyke keeps a look out. Walez and Jabb continue to beat him up.

"Guys, we should go." Reyke says.

Jabb punches the guy one more time, knocking him out before they run off into the night.

Next Day After School

The guys are seated in Axe's room.

"Aye Nerd?"

"Yea?"

"You punch like a pro boxer. Remind me to never piss you off." Reyke says smiling.

Jabb chuckles. "How many pro boxers have punched you?" He says smiling. "Come to think of it, your stupidity is now starting to make a lot of sense."

Reyke playfully strangles Jabb. "Very funny. Haha."

"You alright Axe?" Jabb asks concerned.

She nods, leaning onto Walez' chest while they watch Captain America: Winter Soldier.

Axe's mom walks in with goodies.

"Ma, you're my favorite person on the planet right now." Reyke says taking a sandwich and a bag of popcorn.

She smiles. "You only say that because I feed you." She kisses his head. "Eat Babygirl."

Axe nods wordlessly.

Her mother frowns. "Come here."

Axe leaves her Walez and Jabb cocoon to follow her mother out of the door, downstairs into the kitchen.

Her mom opens her arms. "Come here Babygirl." Axe practically tackles her, wrapping her arms securely around her torso. "I am so sorry Babygirl. I know it was scary and I'm so happy you grew up around boys." She chuckles and sniffles. "You did good baby, and if I trusted the police here, we'd report him. But they'd probably just let him go."

Axe looks up at her with glistening eyes.

She kisses her head and wipes her tears. "Less than two weeks baby and you'll be out of here. And that punk will get what's coming to him."

She sniffles. "What do you mean?"

She chuckles. "Have you met your boyfriend? He's crazier than Chipmunk(Reyke) , Muffin(Walez), Gerbil (Jabb), your Papa Conz (Walez' father), and Frank (Reyke's foster father) put together. Plus, by the time he gets back, Frank and that corrupt judge won't know what hit them."

They share a laugh. "Wait, what are you talking about?"

She smiles down at her. "You'll see Cupcake."

This chapter was a bit slow...i wonder what Maq is up to?