Chp. 64 "Round Two"

Start from the beginning

Why had her attitude towards me changed so suddenly? Considering the last time we were completely alone she had seemed to want nothing to do with me?

We all grabbed something to eat and found a table, not too far from where Roger and Taylor were sitting, and I refused to look up from the table. I didn’t want to look at Taylor again, not until I had too, because I knew when I would look up she would most likely be looking at me.

We all began eating in silence, but that ended quickly when I heard Max open his big mouth.

“Agent Berkley is fine as hell, I wonder if she likes dudes.”

My eyes had looked at Avery in the moment, and she had a scowl on her face. She shrugged, “I’m pretty sure she’s only into people who are taken, you know, the ‘home-wrecker’ type.”

There was clear annoyance in Avery’s voice and Gage seemed to pick up on it, but Max of course refused to let any information sink into his head until at least 5:00 in the afternoon. He responded, “Well that doesn’t make sense, but seriously, I think she’s checking me out.”

I continued eating in silence, awaiting another sharp comment to exit Avery’s mouth.

“No, she’s just checking out Andy.”

I slapped my palm to my face as I looked at her, “Please, just stop.”

“Woah, Berkley’s gay? And she likes Andy?”

I looked at Max in shock, retorting, “Why shouldn’t she be attracted to me? Calling me ugly?”

Max just shrugged, “Not like that, but seriously Andy, that means she’s crazy. You always attract the crazy bitches. I mean look at Avery.”

I felt Avery deliver a kick to Max’s shin as he crippled in pain, and I continued eating, too embarrassed of my friends. Couldn’t they just be normal and not talk to each other like they hated one another?

Then I allowed myself to look up from the table, only to see Taylor gathering her things to throw away. Avery was still busy bickering with Max to notice our eye contact, and then she stood, allowing me to see her usual work attire.

She stood tall with her work heels, and her legs looked defined as ever as she fixed her wrinkled skirt. I saw her tell Roger bye and then threw away her trash, allowing me to get a good look at her ass. I couldn’t help but notice its perfect shape as she walked towards the trash can, and then after throwing her food away she turned around to face me again.

She must’ve seen my stare because a slight smirk played on her lips as she began walking towards our table.

I felt my heart slam in my chest as I hurried to pull my eyes away, not wanting Avery to see. I took a sip of my drink as Max spoke, “Oh God, Berkley’s coming over here.”

Avery rolled her eyes, “Great.”

Soon I could hear Taylor’s heels clanking against the floor as she approached, and I could feel my skin grow hot under her stare. I looked up to see her, and she stopped in front of our table, looking only at me.