FOURTEEN

"Pulling me further, further than I've been beforeMaking me stronger, shaking me right to the coreOh, I don't know what's in the starsNever heard it from above, the world isn't oursBut I know what's in my heart, if you ain't mine I'll be torn apar...

I've been before
Making me stronger, shaking me right
to the core
Oh, I don't know what's in the stars
Never heard it from above, the world
isn't ours
But I know what's in my heart, if you ain't mine I'll be torn apart"
—John Legend

     We pull up in front of the little ice cream parlor. I pull off my helmet and glare at Reid. "I thought we were going to my house?"

     "I wanted to spend the day with my girl," he says with his glorious smile. I internally melt . . . I'm his girl.

     Smiling, I kiss his stubbly cheek. Reid gets off the bike first, then turns around and helps me off. His hand stays intertwined in mine as we walk to the large glass door. The bell at the door chimes as we walk in. The cold air whips at my skin, making me shiver.

     Reid suddenly pulls his hand away. Before I could sulk, I watch as he effortlessly shrugs off his leather jacket. He sets it carefully around my shoulders. The sweet smell of pine and sandalwood fills my nose, his scent.

     I smile and we proceed walking to the counter. I hover over the glass and walk, making sure to look at all the flavors.

     Mint Chip.

     Bubblegum.

     Cotton Candy.

     Cookies and Cream!

     My eyes light up when the come across my favorite flavor. "Have you decided yet?" Reid asks. I nod and point to the flavor. "I'll get one cookies and cream and one mint chip," He says to the girl at the register.

     She looks vaguely familiar . . . but I just can't put my finger on it. The girl, 'Susanna' as her name tag says, nods at him then looks to me. Her baby blues light up and she smiles brightly and waves. I return the gesture and watch as she scoops ice cream into a waffle cone.

    Therapy! I could just snap my fingers. She's from the waiting room. Her session must have finished before mine. Her light blonde hair flows over her shoulder in a ponytail and her glasses rest at the bridge of her nose.

     She hands me my ice cream over the counter and does the same with Reid. We walk over to the register.

     "That'll be $5.45," Susanna says. I reach in my pocket to fish out my money. I grow frustrated and quickly switch pockets. I feel the aged paper in between my fingers and smile. I pull the money out of my pocket only to see Susanna handing Reid a receipt. He looks at me and smirks.

     "You gotta be quicker than that," He says while holding his smirk. I roll my eyes and shove the money back in my pocket. Reid starts heading to a table and I'm about to follow, but stop.

      Turning, I quickly pull my money out and slip it into the tip jar. I start my way get to Reid but stop when I hear a soft "thank you." I turn and give Susanna a sweet smile and walk to Reid. He sets down his ice cream and pulls out my chair. I blush as I sit down and mumble a "thank you" loud enough for Reid to hear.

     I watch as he eases into his chair, not breaking eye contact. "You look beautiful."

     "Thank you," I blush. I grab the sides of his leather jacket and shove each of my arms in the sleeves. The jacket is 4 times my size but oh so warm.

     I start licking at my ice cream, letting the cool texture coat my tongue.

     "What's your favorite color?" Reid says breaking the silence.

     I giggle, "Since when does my favorite color matter?"

     "Since I started having feelings for you." I stop licking and look at him. I can feel the blush creeping up my cheeks. My heart feels so full at the moment, I have a new loving family and now a man claiming his feelings for me. This cannot be real life!

     "Blue, like the sea."

     He nods. "What's yours?"

     "Red, like your lips." God, could he get anymore romantic and cheesy? "What do you enjoy doing?" He asks.

     "Uh . . . well I'm not sure. I've always stuck with piano and ballet. I had to quit ballet when money got tight, but whenever I can play piano, I will."

     He seems to show sadness yet adoration when he listens to me. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside! "Do you miss it?"

     I almost tremble at his words, memories threaten to play in my mind. "Of course I do . . . I miss everything."

     So that's how the rest of our 'date' went, we both found out much more about each other. I found out that he has one brother that's around our age. I also learned that he will take over his family business, his dad being the current boss. He didn't tell me what they do, but from what I can tell it seems very important.

     "I had fun," I say as we stand together on the porch. The light from the porch, our only light source, makes the features of his face become more prominent.

     "Me too, I enjoy your company."

     "Maybe . . . we could do it again?" I ask hesitantly. He smiles and kisses my nose making a blush appear at my cheeks. I mentally pray that he can't see.

     "I'd love to. Next time we'll go on a real date," He says.

     I nod and smile. "Well, would you like to come inside? We could watch a movie or something."

     "Sure," he answers.

     Just as I'm unlocking the front door, I hear his phone go off. He gives me an apologetic look and I nod, letting him know it's okay.

     I step in the warm house. It's oddly quiet, the Philips must all be out and about.

     "I'm sorry angel, I have to go," He says firmly. I whirl around and furrow my eyebrows.

     "Is everything alright?"

     "No—yes. J-Just stay inside, and lock the doors. Call the Philips and ask for their whereabouts," He exclaims. I'm about to throw him more questions but shushed by his lips pressing against mine. The kiss is urgent and full of passion . . . it almost feels like a goodbye.

     We both pull away and he rests his forehead against mine. His electric blue eyes staring deeply into my amber eyes.

     "I'll be back later," And with that I watch as his large figure squeezes through the front door. I hear his motorcycle rev up and retreat down the street.

    I don't know why, but I have a really bad feeling something horrible will happen tonight.