THREE

"Everything I doThe way I wear my nooseLike a necklaceI wanna make 'em scaredLike I could be anywhereLike I'm wreck-less"—Billie Eilish

"Everything I do
The way I wear my noose
Like a necklace
I wanna make 'em scared
Like I could be anywhere
Like I'm wreck-less"
—Billie Eilish

     I awoke to a gentle touch. Groaning, I reluctantly opened my eyes to see Oliver in his pajamas. I threw the covers over my head only to have them yanked off my entire body. The cold touches my skin causing me to shiver.

     "C'mon Mere, we have to get ready for school!" He says in a cheery tone, which I just groaned in reply. Oliver steps out of the room and I throw myself off the bed. I venture into my closet and pick out my outfit.

     I decided to go with something that will cover up my body from lingering eyes—a mauve cardigan, pure white tank top, light wash jeans with rips in the knees, and a pair of black flats. Looking at my bruises makes my stomach lurch. Yet, knowing that my own mother decided to lay a hand on me in the first place makes me want to cry and never leave the house again.

     I did some light makeup but heavy enough to conceal the black eye and bruises on my cheek. I threw my hair up and made my way downstairs. The sweet scent of french toast fills my nose and I sigh in content.

     "Good morning love!" "Morning Mere-bear!" "About damn time you got up chica!" Greetings were thrown around the kitchen and I giggle. This is so—so different from what I'm used to.

     I smile at the family. "Good morning to you too!" Sitting at my place, I begin eating as much as my little tummy can handle.

     "Are you excited, Mere?" I glance up to Lisa and lightly nod. She looks at me warily and nods in response. I finish my plate and brush my teeth. Grabbing my back pack and phone, I head out the door with Oliver and Holly at my side. We hop in her car and make our way to the school.

     We arrive a short while later and the nerves finally attack me. Letting out a shaky breath, I feel a firm grip on my shoulder. I turn and smile at Oliver at his attempt to calm me. I won't lie, it works a bit.

     Walking through the hallways is a different story. I got glances, stares, evil eyes, whispers. I keep my gaze down on the tile as Oliver and Holly lead me to the office.

     "Good morning Holly, Oliver, how may I help you?" The lady at the front desk asks.

     "Morning Cheryl. We came to pick up a schedule for Meredith Hill, she's just starting today," Holly says politely.

     "Of course, dear!" She shuffles around gathering a paper. "Here you go dear. Welcome to Woodland High."

     After a while of searching I finally find my locker. Oliver and Holly haven't left my side once, which I'm grateful for. I don't think I could do any of this so far without them, they're like my guardian angels.