TWO

"Little do you knowHow I'm breaking while you fall asleepLittle do you knowI'm still haunted by the memoriesLittle do you knowI'm trying to pick myself up piece by pieceLittle do you knowI need a little more time"—Alex & Sierra

"Little do you know
How I'm breaking while you fall asleep
Little do you know
I'm still haunted by the memories
Little do you know
I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece
Little do you know
I need a little more time"
—Alex & Sierra

Lisa and I finished our movie marathon and as I was about to get up, we heard the front door open then close with a click. I bite my tongue in anticipation. Will she recognize me? Will she be happy?

"Mom, I'm home! I brought ice cream like you asked!" I looked over Lisa. She had a smug grin on her face and simply shrugged. At the sound of footsteps, I averted my gaze to the now teenage Holly as she entered the doorway. Holly still is beautiful. I've always been jealous of her—even as a child. Her hair was a shade darker then brunette, but not black. Long legs bathed in a honey tan made her look taller and more model-like. That little dimple in her right cheek was still there. On top of that, those mischievous deep green eyes widened at my presence and she wasted no time running into my arms.

"OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE MERE? Not that I'm not happy to see you, but I'm just curious—oh my god I'm rambling shut me up please!" She rushed out in one breath.

"I've missed you too Holly! We have A LOT to catch up on." Her thick eyebrows knitted together, slightly confused. As if looking for the answer, she scanned my body in a once over and I saw her visibly tense as she looked from bruise to bruise. Her glassy eyes looked to mine once again. My cold heart broke even farther when tears ran out from her eyes. She hugged me once again. This time, much tighter.

"Holly, I'll tell you everything." I said as I pulled away. She nodded and I guided her to the couch.

"Wait!" She said as she ran from the couch to the kitchen. She held up two giant spoons and the jug of ice cream. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips as she ran back to my side.

She hasn't changed one bit. "Okay, spill."

So I told her everything as we dug into the cookies and cream. From every threat to every hit, every tear to every sleepless night. By the end of my story, we were both sobbing and cuddling into each other.

"God, Mere I'm so sorry, I wish you would have told me. We could have gotten you out sooner," I nodded and wiped the tears from my eyes. "Hey, do you want to hang in my room?" I nodded, again.

We enter her simple yet cozy room. The plush rug hugs my toes just right. Her room is modern; with her baby blue duvet cover and wooden headboard. A light fixture hangs above the bed and reflects off the glass from the picture frames. I sigh and she throws herself on the bed.