TEN

"How unfair, it's just our luckFound something real that's out of touchBut if you'd searched the whole wide worldWould you dare to let it go?"—Birdy

Found something real that's out of touch
But if you'd searched the whole wide world
Would you dare to let it go?"
—Birdy

MEREDITH

     Breathe in.

     Breathe out.

     My entire body aches and feels like bricks. I try to move, but I can't. I can hear muffled of what seems to be voices around me, I just can't make out a word.

     I'm growing frustrated. With my body betraying me and my eyelids practically glued shut, I feel paralyzed.

     I try and try, I just need to move one muscle. Even a twitch would do!

     After what feels like hours, I feel my body come back to me and my eyelids softening. I peek out of my right eye only to be met with blinding lights from above me. I whimper and shut my eye closed.

     "Meredith?" A heavenly male voice speaks. I feel someone caress my arm and I shiver.

     My eyes slowly flutter open. The light still blinds me, but I push through it. Once my eyes are fully open, I take in my surroundings. White. Mostly everything is white. The sheets are white, the bed is white, the ceiling is white, even the floors are white. I must be in the hospital.

     "Oh, baby. I'm so glad your okay," Reid leans up and lightly touches my cheek. Due to my achy muscles, I force out a light giggle. He backs up a bit, but still holding me. His hair is completely disheveled, must have been running his fingers through them constantly. His beautiful blue eyes are bloodshot and glossy, tear stains run down his face. He cried? I can't imagine a big, scary bad boy crying.

     I lift my hand up and run it over his cheek, caressing the light stubble grown. He leans into my touch.

     "Reid? What happened?" He tensed up a bit and sits down. Taking my hand in his, he gives it a light kiss.

     "Baby, you were—" his voice cracks, he takes a deep breathe, "someone raped you."

     My eyes widen in realization. I remember everything. From stupidly deciding to leave the house, to turning down the wrong street, to the nasty man hitting me, and to him . . . touching me in sacred places.

     I look up to Reid. My vision becoming blurry due to the tears that are threatening to escape. I let out a sob that sounds more like a croak. My hand comes to my mouth on instinct and seconds later I'm curled up in Reid's muscular arms.