[22]

More weeks had gone by and Lydia still found herself sitting in the same exact spot she always did.

The blue, cushioned seat right outside Finn's room.

It had felt like the umpteenth time her world was crashing beneath her feet. She refused to give up, that was the one thing she constantly reminded herself never to do. But how could she find the will to fight when all the hope she once had, seemed to be gone?

Swiftly, the familiar dark skinned doctor that had been checking up on Finn for the past month barged out of the same room Lydia seemed to find herself in every afternoon, her face paled with the worst.

Her immediate thought was the most awful outcome she could possibly think of; Was Finn gone? Had all his life been sucked away like the once sliver of hope that gleamed in her?

But when a small smile slowly spread across his face, wrinkles deepening as it spread, growing and seemingly lightening up the room.

That's when the doctor said two words that made her freeze in an emotion she couldn't describe, but made a shiver run down her spine.

The two words that rocked her world. The two words that made her heart jump.

Because those two words changed everything.

"He's awake." The doctors lips curled into a knowing smile making Lydia jump a little. She didn't think this would happen. Although she had never truly lost hope she couldn't believe the day was here.

It had been weeks. Weeks that turned into long months of Lydia not seeing her best friend. The one boy that loved her with all his heart. The one boy she trusted with every fiber in her soul. The one boy that loved her for being herself and all her flaws along with it. The one boy she loved most in the world.

Without another thought, she stood up before barging into the room. Her pulse was pumping a mile a minute as she scanned the room, desperately wanting to see him.

"Lydia?" Lydia's eyes shot to the bed as a small tear ran down her cheek. She had been crying a lot lately, but this, this was the first tear of joy.

"Finn?" Lydia eyes locked with Finn's and for a moment she swear time stopped. And no, it wasn't time stopped in a romantic comedy way, where it was just them two in the moment.

No, time stopped in that all Lydia could see was the way Finn's eyes blinked open and his hands fisted. His chest rose a little less evenly and there was a small smile plastered on his lips.

He was awake.

Lydia scurried towards his bedside getting down on her knees to his eye level, tears still poured down her face as a tiny giggle left her lips. "I knew you'd wake up."

"How long was I asleep?" Finn looked around noticing Lydia was the only one in the room. It created a sense of comfort that washed over Finn like a wave.

"Almost three months," Lydia paused before speaking, causing Finn's eyes to widened instantly.

"What?" Finn's began to sit up before Lydia immediately pushed him back down.

"Woah, woah, woah, don't get up. You could still be hurt." Worry filled Lydia eyes as a frown settled on her face. Her best friend had just woken up from a coma and she was, to put lightly, in full defense mode.

"Lydia, I feel fine. Don't worry." Finn chuckled, but stopped when he saw Lydia's furrowed eyebrows and lips quirked downwards, tears welling in her eyes.

"How can I not worry, I was so close to losing you." Lydia claims, her lips puckering trying to hold in a sob.

"Lydia, hey, hey, I'm right here. Look, I'm fine, see." Finn smiled waving at his body before reaching out to wipe the tears from Lydia's face.

They fell silent, soaking in the comfort of each other that had been gone for months and had finally returned again. Lydia captured every sensation she felt through her cheek as Finn's thumb slowly brushed against it, gently pulling any water from Lydia's stained skin with it. All while Finn captured every fiber beneath his thumb on Lydia's rosy cheeks, trying so desperately to take away her pain.

"I have to tell you something." They both spoke, their eyes widening in effect.

"You first," Finn spoke cautiously, the nervousness in his voice prominent.

"No, you first." Lydia smiled, a small giggle escaping from her lips.

"Okay, well, I've been meaning to tell you this for a while, but I was just too scared. And then when I finally got enough courage to tell you, the whole thing with my dad happened, you know? And then three months passed-"

"Finn, just tell me." Lydia grinned, laughing at Finn's nervousness.

Lydia's hand slowly grasped his, giving it a small squeeze, sending sparks flying through his hand and right through his heart. Finn's eye diverted from their intertwined hands to Lydia's eyes. They were the same beautiful turquoise color with the same amount of pure and genuine good laced within them.

Finn's heart was fluttering and goosebumps began to rise on his skins before he spoke.

"Lydia, I'm in love you."

Now, Finn expected the worst. He expected Lydia to maybe burst out in tears, yell at him, and then run out to which he'd never see her again. But when Lydia continued to stare into Finn's eyes with a smile still plastered on her face, not a single word uttering from her lips, Finn was a little confused.

"Look Lydia, I know you're my best friend and I had to get this off my chest, but it would be so great if you would just say something right now. Like anything, right now." Finn gulped, his saliva suddenly tasting like acid on his throat as he anticipated what Lydia would say next.

But when Lydia still seized to speak Finn made up his mind, "Listen Lydia-"

"I'm in love with you too." Lydia spoke, barely above a whisper.

"What?" Finn could't believe his ears and with Lydia talking that quietly, he didn't trust himself enough to make a fair judgement on the four crucial words she had just said.

"I love you too." Lydia spoke a bit clearer before continuing, "and I think I always have."

"You do?" Finn still couldn't believe his ears. He had quite literally dreamed of this moments, but it would usually end with him abruptly waking up in a haze to his cruel reality.

But this wasn't a dream; this was real. Finn didn't know how to react, he truly felt as though he would pass out at any second. His hands stopped trembling, his lips parted in awe as he stared into Lydia's eyes once more.

"Yeah, I do." Lydia smiled, more tears sliding down her cheeks before she leaned in and did what Finn had wanted her to do since that night on the beach long ago.

She kissed him. She kissed him slowly, but passionately. Her lips were red from being pulled at by her teeth, a habit Finn knew she did when she was nervous.

But all in all, her lips still tasted like strawberry lemonade.

And that's all that really mattered.

end.