Chapter: 26

Now, I am skipping to my birthday. In between those days, Bella woke up and almost had gotten a human killed but she resisted. Then she came back and beat up Jacob badly when he told her about imprinting. Nessie, aka Renesmee, was growing up a lot faster than any of us would have liked. Everyone was scared about how long she will live. She is too, gifted, like father, like daughter. She can show her thoughts and whatever she had witnessed with a touch. Like the opposite of Aro. I pointed that out and Carlisle said, even if its both with touch, it always depends on personality. The strongest personality trait of human life can become a gift in their vampire life.

Anyway, back to my birthday. It was only for closest people. Charlie and Sue couldn't come because they already had plans with Billy. And I didn't mind. So it was all vampires, shape-shifters, one human and a half-human and half-vampire. It wasn't exactly a party. It was more like a friendly gathering at the Cullens. Since Alice insisted. Also, I had dyed my hair to pale blue to match my shoes.

So I cut the cake, got some gifts even if I told them not to. The wolf pack had gotten me a second-hand car. But they had noticed I drove my bike in the rain after my mom's car broke and since she doesn't need a car. I couldn't thank them enough because I loved it. Seth had gotten me a charm bracelet with a Harry Potter snitch on it because he knew how much I love the fandom. My mom had gotten a silver necklace with the word Alex on it. Rosalie and Emmett had given me a brand new laptop because the last one was giving me some problems. I was about to open Alice and Jasper's gift when the doorbell rang.

"Its a mailman," Edward said and went to the door. He returned with two boxes. "They're for Bella and Alex. From the Volturi."

Bella and I exchanged looks before taking the boxes. I could feel every pair of eyes on us. We opened the boxes. 

In Bella's box, there was a big diamond necklace and by that I mean the diamond was huge and it was on a gold chain. It was pretty. There was a note that said, congratulation for her wedding from Aro.

I finally opened the lid of mine. There was a platinum-plated diamond-pearl necklace. It was really beautiful. And the card said, Happy birthday from Demetri. I had to take deep breaths to calm myself down. 

"What does it say?" Emmett said. 

I looked at Edward, his expression hardened. I handed the card to Alice and dropped the box on the table.

"Happy Birthday, from Demetri," Jasper read and suddenly my mood was all happy. I knew it was him, using his gift.

"Are these real diamonds?" My mom asked picking it up.

"Show off," Seth muttered.

"Alice," I said. "Please, can you get rid of it?"

She looked sadly at me, but nodded and picked it up. Then went to put it away. I was not going to So I focused on my birthday. 

Carlisle and Esme had given me a Polaroid camera with lots of films. From Edward, Bella and Nessie, I got an Xbox. From Alice and Jasper, I got a brand new phone with a cover. I thanked everyone. The wolves, I and Nessie ate everyone went home. I decided to stay there for the night. Since the next day was a weekend. But I called Demetri. This time he picked up.

"Hello, Alex," his voice lacked emotion.

"I am going to return the necklace," I said. 

"Why?"

"Because I don't want anything from someone who broke my trust."

"I am sorry, Alex." He didn't sound like sorry. "Don't bother with returning the gift. If you don't want it, throw it away." 

Suddenly I heard a girl's voice. "Come on, D, we are late."

"Coming," he said and then he said to me, "Bye. Alex." And before I could say anything else, he cut the phone.

"What the hell!" I said and threw my old phone across the room.  Then I started to sob. I was way past angry. I couldn't contain my anger so I started to cry. 

My mom came running to me. "Baby, what's wrong?"

I started to cry harder. But I started to hyperventilate. She tried to stop me but it was too much. Edward and Carlisle came to the room and Carlisle had to give me an injection to calm me down. 

"It's all because of Demetri," I heard Edward say before I passed out from the overdose.