Chapter: 23

After school, I walked to the Cullens which was something I did not expect because Demetri was the one who drove me everywhere these days. Also, today was the day, my mom would be reborn as a vampire. Alice had said she would give a call to let me know when my mom wakes up and it's not any safer to go to their house since a newborn vampire will seek human blood and I am human. But she didn't call so I went there. I couldn't reach Demetri either so I thought to check on him as well. When I reached I saw Alice and Jasper were standing there looking gloomy.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"It's Demetri," Alice said. "He is gone. His clothes aren't there. It looks like he was never here."

My jaw dropped open and instantly I felt happy. "Jasper, don't," I mumbled as my vision became blurry and they both hugged me. Just when I thought I was finally happy, it was gone again.

Suddenly Alice gasped and we let go. She looked at us. And then ran back inside. Jasper and I looked at each other concernedly before following her in. Everyone was there except for Esme, standing around Alice.

"What is it?" Emmett asked.

"I saw Bella. And I think, I think she is pregnant," Alice said.

"What?" I asked wiping my tears. My sadness subdued at the discovery of this new information. "Is that possible?"

Carlisle looked tensed. "Call them."

Apparently, Bella was pregnant indeed or so she said over the phone. Carlisle told them to come home as fast as possible. Before I could ask any questions, Esme came running. "Ashley is waking up."

Emmett and Jasper were instantly by my side, Alice stood before me. Carlisle and Rosalie went upstairs to see my mom.

"Shouldn't I be going?" I said looking at my protectors.

"Too late," Jasper said. "Your scent is here anyway. She will find you. If it comes to extreme, hold onto me. Alice and I will help you run."

I nodded. I had never been so much scared of my own mom. Then I saw her come downstairs. She was paler and her eyes were red. She looked more beautiful than ever.

"Thirsty," she said and clawed at her throat until her eyes landed on me. "Alex? What's going on?"

"Mom," I tried to take a step but Emmett put a hand in front of me. "You were dying so Carlisle made you a vampire."

"Vampire?" She looked at Carlisle. "Thirsty. Take me away. I don't want to hurt Alex."

"Right," Esme said and took my mom's hand. Soon they were gone along with Carlisle.

"That went great," Emmett said sitting on the sofa.

"I guess its mother's love," Alice said smiling.

I smiled back but then I remembered Demetri. I excused myself from them to go to his room. Alice was right. There was no trace of him. I called him but still out of service.

When my mom came back, I told her about him. She was angry but since she couldn't go back to our house because it was too dangerous with me around, Alice and Rosalie decided to have a sleepover.

Before sleeping, I called him again, it rang and rang but no one picked up. And I was grateful that Alice and Rosalie were there to help me get through the pain of heartbreak since it was the second time.