Interrogation (Part 2)

×××

Anybody else in the right frame of mind would have kept their mouth shut, after all, this was Batman they were dealing with. They could get killed.

But two facts stayed prominent in my mind. One, fortunately for me Batman didn't kill. And two, mister tall, dark and broody over here was helping me forget my pain.

I chuckled quietly and looked down at my legs. 'Alright, Mr anger issues.' I relaxed in my seat and stared at him. 'Question away.'

×××

Outside the interrogation room, the Justice League members watched the conversation. Normally all the crooks they brought in were terrified when Batman was through with them, but this teenage girl was completely calm.

'Does she want to push Batman to the edge?' Superman asked with a frown, having been on the receiving end of the Crusader's temper several times.

Black Canary shook her head. 'No, that's not it. I think she's playing with him.'

The Flash snorted. 'Playing with the Bat is like playing with fire. You always get burnt.'

She nodded. 'Exactly. But I don't think she knows that.'

'I think the best course of action is to see how it ends.' Red Tornado gave his input. 'It might serve to be informative.'

Martian Manhunter frowned. 'Batman suggested that if his method fails, I should read her mind.'

'But not before I squeeze the truth out of her with the lasso of truth.' Wonder Woman commented with a chuckle.

'Bruce seems to be making a lot of contingency plans for this girl. What's so special about her?' Flash asked.

'You don't know?' Wonder Woman laughed. 'That girl is the leader of The Deadly Nightshade.'

Barry paled. 'The Nightshade?'

'Yes.'

'But... She's so young!'

'And powerful.' The Martian in the room added. 'Maybe that is why she does not fear Batman.'

'It's starting.' Canary announced.

'It appears so.' The Man of Steel stated after being quiet for some time. 'I'm really interested to see how this goes.'

×××
{Shadow}

Batman slapped a file on the table and the sound echoed through the room. He started bringing out pictures and I watched silently as dust particles floated off the table and into the air.

'I have to speak to your cleaner. This place is filthy. Imagine all the bacteria.' I shuddered. I and germs were like... Batman and Joker. We didn't mix.

'Do you know the people in these photos?' Batman asked, ignoring my earlier statement.

I spared the pictures a second glance then looked back at Batman and stared at him intently.

Damn, that man is fine. Don purred, and I rolled my eyes. 'Yes I know them.'

When I needed the stupid voice it disappeared, but when I didn't need it, it came back like a pest.

'Look carefully.' Batman pressed.

I sighed. 'Look. They are just the loved ones of the gang leaders of North, West, South and East Gotham, in that exact order. Anything else?'

×××

Barry whistled. 'I can't believe she got that in one go.'

Everyone glared at him and he shrugged. 'What? I was just saying.'