Outclassed.

××

Carter.

I thought with trepidation as I walked down the hallways, not really knowing where I was heading to.

If he was coming here, that would mean I'd have to leave.

Then I had to consider my promise to Robin, which I now see as foolish and naive.

I don't even know why I even suggested the idea, maybe I was under the influence.

Yeah, under the influence of Robin's bewitching voice.

Shut up Don.

Again, lost in thought, I slammed into a wall.

It took only seconds to realize once again that walls do not mysteriously appear in the middle people's paths.

I looked up, not into the angry glare of a nocturnal hero, but the confused green eyes of Aqualad.

I took a step back, gathering my thoughts before letting a strained smile materialize on my lips.

'Sorry Kaldur, for running into you, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.'

He raised an eyebrow, straightening up.

'I thought you said you wouldn't be speaking Atlantean anymore'.

'I didn't mean—'

Aqualad kept the amused look on his face.

I sighed in resignation. 'I'm sorry, it's just nice to speak a common language with someone.'

He crossed his arms. 'And what is English?'

'A stupid, parasitic language.' I huffed, blowing a strand of hair out of my face.

Kaldur shook his head but made no comment.

'I'm off then.' I said.

He stepped to the side, blocking my path.

'I can't let you leave unaccompanied.'

'Why not?' I almost whined.

'You've been missing for hours,' he said simply.

'So what?'

'Where have you been?'

'I've been with KidFlash.'

He paused in surprise, taking a moment to compose himself.

'What were the both of you doing?'

'What is this, an interrogation?', I hissed, walking past him.

He put his hand on my shoulder, pulling me back.

'Answer the question, Shadow.' He whispered in Atlantean.

'Nothing.'

'Nothing?' He scoffed. 'I don't think I believe you.'

I glared at him. 'I don't care if you believe me or not'

'I suppose you can get Batman to believe you then,' He grabbed my arm, towing me along as he started walking.

'Wait!' I called out to him.

He kept walking.

'Aqualad, please.'

His footsteps didn't slow a beat.

'I'll tell you what we were doing.'

For a second I thought he wouldn't stop, before he turned around and faced me.

'Start talking.'

I took a step forward, placing my hands on his chest, separating us.

'We talked.'

He started walking again.

'Alright, we didn't talk!'

I walked after him.

'Please Kaldur,' I said quietly. 'Don't go to Batman.'

'Please', I stopped walking, looking at the wall to my left.

'I really don't want to talk to him or Canary right now.'

I heard him sigh, then the sound of his footsteps followed.

Soon he was right next to me.

'I heard what happened.' He paused, choosing his words.

'I am sorry for Artemis' rash behavior.'

He placed a hand on my shoulder.

'I guess, I'm sorry as well.'

'Shadow,' He sighed. 'I believe that you are a somewhat good person, who had to make tough decisions—'

'Wow Kaldur. You really know what to say to a girl.' I moved away from his hand, thankful that no painful memory had erupted in the time that all the heroes' sidekicks found themselves touching me.

'I want to be your friend Shadow.' Aqualad grabbed my arm as I moved away. 'At least I'm trying. Why can't you see that?'

I yanked my arm out of his grasp. 'I can see well enough.'

'I know what you are trying to do, what you're all trying to do. Do you think I'm an idiot?'

He stared at me blankly.

'I know that you're all trying to get close to me. Black Canary, Robin, you. All you want is information, information I will not give you,' slowly I turned away, 'information that I cannot give you. Sorry for disappointing you.'

I pulled on my sleeve. 'So all of you should just put your fake smiles and insincere words away, and hand me to the government because. . .'

Stumbling forward, I felt my heart rate slow down.

Aqualad wrapped his arm around my waist, preventing me from falling to the floor.

'You drugged me.' I managed to choke out as he steadied.

'I was being sincere with my words earlier. I do very much want to be your friend, but I'm sure you understand that my mission comes first not friendship.'

'When?' I pressed my hand to my chest.

'When you bumped into me.' He said quietly.

That long ago.

'All for the sake of your mission?' I closed my eyes as the sedative did its job. 'I hope it was worth it.'

×