A Stitch In Time.

×××

'Our mission objective?' Aqualad asked, having just been briefed on the events that had taken place in his absence.

'Gain Shadow's trust, become her friend, get the information about who she works for out of her.' Batman answered, his tone grim and apprehensive.

'Can't we, I don't know, interrogate her or something?' Wally suggested slowly and Artemis nodded in agreement.

'Well kiddo, we already tried that
Didn't end so well.' Flash told him, his expression morphing into one of amusement as he remembered Batman's. . . tantrum.

'It didn't end so well? Who are you kidding, it was disastrous.' Green Arrow argued.

Black Canary nodded. 'She will only give out information on her own terms, we know that much.'

'Well, it looks like we have no choice now, do we?' Artemis sighed.

'Is she really that bad?' M'gann asked quietly, not wanting to befriend a killer, even if it was for the sake of a mission.

'Well, seeing thag she almost killed Artemis. Yes' Conner answered indifferently.

'Oh.' M'gann gulped, looking down at her feet.

The kryptonian put his hand on her shoulder, reassuring her. 'I won't let her hurt you.'

She flashed him a tiny smile, covering his hand with hers.

'In addition to being her friends, you'll all be fitted with listening devices, so that us here can listen in on your conversations, and analyse it.' Superman added.

As the team grouped together and started talking about their course of action, Robin remained reticent.

'Is there a problem, Robin?' Batman asked his protégé.

'It won't work.' He said simply.

His mentor gritted his teeth but said nothing. The tension in the air grew.

'Elaborate.' Diana pressed, laying her hand on Bruce's arm in hopes of quelling his rage.

'Shadow will sniff out what's going on once any one of you starts a conversation with her. I mean, you have all made it clear that you hate her. She's not stupid.'

'That's all you have to back up your claim?' Batman asked, loosening his jaw.

'She's not one to trust; she has trained herself not to get attached. Look all I'm saying is that if you want to follow through with this plan you should at least treat her like a normal person.' He stated his point clearly.

'She is not a normal person, she is a coldblooded killer. And last time I checked, we do not treat villians like friends.' Batman growled.

'Dude, I can't believe you, she almost killed Artemis, yet you're still siding with her!' KidFlash said in disbelief.

'If you want to go on with the mission, fine, but I'm out.' Robin replied coldly.

'Unfortunately for you, you don't have a a choice.' Batman said, walking past him. 'And that's an order.'

The prodigy gritted his teeth as his mentor left the room, everyone sharing looks of incredulity as he did.

×

Aqualad walked down the hall that led to Shadow's cell in disquietude.

Coldblooded killer, almost killed Artemis, how deadly could a thirteen year old be?