The Killer And The Sadist.

×

'I don't think I can forgive you.' My words hung in the air, bringing silence along with them.

'I. . . I understand.' Carla stumbled back, hand over her mouth, holding back tears.

'Do you?' I spun on my heel and finally faced her.

She nodded, squeezing her eyes shut, as if to prevent herself from reliving a nightmare.

'We are bad for each other, you're a killer,' she chocked on her words, 'I'm a killer. I was so stupid thinking I could fix this, I should just go.'

I watched her walk away, listening to the rhythmic footfalls of her heeled shoes, my own feet glued to the floor.

Then my lips formed a smirk, my hands shoved into my pockets with an air of nonchalance.

'It seems like you don't, Carla.'

There was a halt in her step.

'If you did, you'd realize why I can't forgive you.'

She stopped completely, turning around slowly. 'What?'

'I don't know what possessed you to think you needed my forgiveness, I'm even more confused as to what made you think that any of this is your fault. If I had not been a such a fantastic failure, the base wouldn't have been compromised. If I hadn't been an awful person, I wouldn't have lied to you, and all this pain that you're feeling. . .' my steps were slow and meticulous as I walked towards her, explaining myself in detail.

'. . . would have never existed. How you still manage not to see that is beyond me. But I shouldn't be surprised, you were never one for logic. Carla I can't forgive you because I am the one who should be asking for your forgiveness.'

I stopped in front of her.

'You are the victim, I'm the villain.'
I said slowly, letting her mull over my words.

'But you're more of the victim than I am.' she whispered softly. 'None of what happened back then is your fault. None of what is happening now is your fault. This is not your fault.'

'Yeah, so whose fault is it?'
I asked her, skeptical.

'It not yours.' She answered firmly, without a glimmer of doubt.

'So whose fault is it? Yours?' I asked her with a hint of incredulity.

She stayed silent.

'So if it's not my fault it's yours? That's a logical fallacy. If it not my fault, then it can't be yours. Because according to your argument, we were in the same situation.'

Carla frowned, running a hand through her hair.

'This is so messed up.' She sighed, taking off her glasses and wiping her wet eyes.

'Upside to being a villain,' I tossed her a  smile, 'no one expects you to be good.'

She laughed. 'That's so ironic, you being a villain'

I smiled. I wanted her to laugh at that more often.

'Just like you being a nurse, uh, Carla?'
I asked her wryly.

'For your information, I make an excellent nurse.' She replied.

'Yeah, a sadistic nurse.' I held back a sneer.

'Well my patients think I'm an fantastic nurse.'

I raised my eyebrow at her words.
'Where do you work, Arkham?'