Part 71

Part 71

I turn around after shutting the door behind Eden as he leaves for his dinner date with Tess.

"Now tell me." I raise my eyebrows at Day. He says nothing. Instead, he walks to me, takes my hand and leads me to my room's balcony.

That was unexpected.

The sun set a while ago. And we can see the stars. The lights from distant Jumbo-trons paints glowing lines of blue and purple accross the side of Day's face as he stands facing me, his hands in his pockets.

I am mesmerized by the way his face is glowing.

He rakes a hand through his hair. This too-familiar gesture is making my heart beat faster. His eyes meet mine. He draws closer.

He takes my hand in his. Slowly, he gets down on one knee before me.

I gasp. He smiles.

"You drive me insane, June."

His eyes reflect the faint lights from Jumbo-trons, a rainbow of evening colors. My heart twists.

"The simplest thing now would be to say that I love you. But it's so much more than that. I want you, June. I need you."

His voice is so full of love. It is his nature. He always loves wholly. I raise my other hand to wipe tears from my face.

He blinks once. His eyes are glistening with tears.

But he reaches down to his pocket and pulls something out. A small box. A soft cry escapes my mouth as i realise what it must be. He opens it.

A heart shaped ruby ring lay inside. It is bordered with little diamonds. He remembers! He still remembers that Ruby is my birthstone. What he doesn't know is that i'm still wearing the tear drop shaped ruby pendant he gave me ten years ago.

"Its... beautiful." I croak.

He nods once and asks "Will you be mine forever?" He raises his lashes. "Will you marry me, June?"

"Yes!" I speak through tears. Tears of extreme happiness. "Yes, Day. I will."

He smiles and puts the ring in my ring finger. I am crying and laughing at once. He stands up but before he can say something, i put two fingers against his lips.

"I am yours. You are mine. There's nothing else that matters. Day Wing, i'm in love with you. And i will always love you." I blurt out.

A look of pure joy crosses his face.

Before i know what i'm doing i take his face and press my mouth to his. He falls into my kiss with helpless urgency. He wraps his arms around my waist pulling me close to him.

We make our way inside. Our lips never apart. We collapse into the bed. His hands run along my face, jaw, arms and legs. He nuzzles my neck and i giggle.

The heat radiating from him warms me. And i savor the weight of him.

Its morning when i wake up. Day is lying next to me. Breathing softly. His hand lays on my chest. He is clutching... my ruby pendant in his hand. At some point, the pendant must have come out of my shirt last night.

When i shift a little, Day's eyes flutter open.

"June, you kept it!" He murmurs.

"What?" I ask.

"The pendant." He shows it to me.

"Ofcourse. Its what kept me going for so many years without you." I say.

"Thanks!" He says.

"No. Thank you. You kept this paperclip ring that i gave you. Even when you didn't remember where it came from. Also, you remember my birth stone."

"I..." He is thinking of something to say.

"No worries." I whisper as i pull his lips back to mine once again.

No matter what happens in the future, this moment belongs to us.