Part 50

Part 50

.

The President of Antartica takes on the mic. His prepared-in-advance speech starts with how he is feeling so respected by the Republic's warm welcome. It continues on to how this agreement will benefit both the nations.

.

I catch a glimpse of someone coming into the square. Eden!

He is... scanning the crowd.

I wave my hand for him to see us. But he turns toward the officer who earlier brought a  medical kit for Day and speaks to him.

The officer points him towards us. Eden finds us, then thanks the officer and hurries off in our direction.

.

He reaches us. "Hi everyone!"

He is smiling. "How did i do?" He asks.

"You did great!" Tess says instantly. She is smiling.

"Thanks!" He says shyly.

"Dude, you know you did a great job out there. Teach your pretty boy something." Pascao says. "Your pretty boy is just standing here fainting and fuming ever since we came to this square." Pascao laughs. Thats bad. I narrow my eyes at Pascao. He just shrugs.

.

"What? Fainting?" Eden touches Day's shoulder.

"Daniel, what happened? Did you faint?" He asks his brother.

Day frowns at Pascao. "No. I didn't. It was just a head ache."

Eden touches Day's forehead and then hugs him. Day relaxes. I leave his hand.

Their relationship is so pure, so beautiful, just like me and Meti-

.

I stop myself. This is not the right time and place to cry.

Eden asks me "June, how did i do?" He looks worried.

"You did amazing, Eden." I say. "So, you are Republic's first acquisition. We are glad to have you."

.

"Really? Then why is Daniel angry with me? He seemed pretty furious on the phone." He asks me.

"I think Day's the right person to answer that." I say.

"Eden, i don't know, you were acting like a sell-out!" Day tells him. "Like you've turned into the Elector's pet."

"Do you really think so?" Eden is surprised.

"Yeah, with all that bowing and flattering before the Elector, you really looked like his crony."

Day says irritatedly.

"What?" Now Eden is hurt.

"Yeah, have you forgotten what he did to you? You lost your vision because of the stupid experiments he did on you. Have you forgotten all that?" Day's voice has turned snappy.

.

Wait, he is remembering the past. He remembers Republic's experiments. Thats why he was nerved all this time in the square.

"Daniel, it wasn't him. It was his father." Eden replies.

Crap. The conversation is heating up.

"Hey, lets discuss that later. Would you?" I try to end it for now. "Lets get over with the President's speech first." I point towards the screen.

.

"I am disappointed with you, Eden." Day says and turns to watch the screen without waiting for a reply.

"Daniel, you know me. I would never do that." Eden says before moving out of the square without a second glance.

I shake my head. They looked so happy a few seconds ago.

.

The President is still going with his speech. How long it's been?

Yes, its been 12 minutes and he is still speaking.

I missed most of the parts.

He is now saying "Here is the list of five acquisitions for Antartica. Commander Roger, Batalla Patrol."

Commander Roger. He is from Batalla Patrol. He replaced Thomas as the head ten years ago.

.

.

The president lists out the names of three more military officers. I know them all. The president has wisely selected these people.

"Here is our fifth and the final aquisition-" He says.

"Commander June Iparis."

What?

Did i hear him right?

I turn to look at Day.

He is shocked.

"Did they just call my name?" I ask him to be sure. His fists are clenched again.

But Tess nods her head.

.